Small And Medium-Sized Enterprises
FP-RdpPAcad. year: 2017/2018
The aim of the course is to provide students with specialisation studies in the management of the student's privately owned small businesses. Students will be informed about the philosophy of small and medium-sized enterprises and their positions in the economic system. Attention will be also paid to the management, marketing and financial aspects of small and medium-sized enterprises.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will know all aspects connected with founding of own small company, including respective issues from marketing, HRM and finance of small companies. Students will be able to run business actively, e.g. to found and manage a small company.
Students are expected to have the following knowledge and skills: trade act, business act, bankruptcy act and creative thinking for founding of own small company.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
KORÁB, V., MIHALISKO, M.: Založení a řízení společnosti, společnost s ručením omezeným, komanditní společnost, veřejná obchodní společnost. ComputerPress Brno, 2005, 252 s. ISBN 80-251-0592-X. (CS)
KORÁB, V. a V. BUMBEROVÁ. Drobné podnikání. Brno: CERM, 2014, 65 s. ISBN 80-214-2651-9. (CS)
SRPOVÁ, J. V. ŘEHOŘ a kol. Základy podnikání. Teoretické poznatky, příklady a zkušenosti českých podnikatelů. Praha: Grada, 2010. ISBN 978-80-247-3339-5. (CS)
VEBER, J., SRPOVÁ, J. a kol. Podnikání malé a střední firmy. Praha: Grada, 2005. ISBN 80-247-1069-2. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Graded course-unit credit is awarded on the following conditions:
1. Active participation in the seminars, which will be checked by the teacher - max. 100 points.
2. Completing a semester work in a defined term - max. 100 points.
3. Succesful passing of test - 100 points.
4. Total amount of points required for a graded curse-unit credit has to be higher than 250 points.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to small business, history, basic terms, definitions and facts.
2. State of small business in the economy, external environment of small business.
3. System of small business support in the Czech Republic.
4. Business model of small company.
5. Start of small companies, business entities, business location,
6. Franchising, advantages and disadvantages of franchising concept, examples of franchising in the Czech Republic and in the world..
7. Business plan, small business strategy.
8. Model of small business growrth, stages and cirisis.
9. Management of family-owned companies, succession management in family business.
10. Resources management, small company limited marketing.
11. Financial aspects of small business, starting capital.
12. Small business bankruptcy, insolvency act.
13. New trends in entreprenurship, intrapreneurship, business networks, strategic alliances.
The aim of the course is to specialize the students of study, programme Corporate Business and Management, and provide them with a plenty of information, knowledge and skills necessary for founding and managing their own small company.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Checking of individual study results on engaged tasks. In the case of excused absence, the teacher may set in justified cases a make-up condition, usually working out of a partial task.