Interconnection and Assembly Technology
FEKT-LMOTAcad. year: 2017/2018
Subject deals with nterconnection technology and assembly techniques with following topics.
Interconnection technology, methods, properties. Levels of interconnection. Organic and inorganic substrates. Technology steps in interconnection structures production. High density interconnection (HDI). Microvia.
Technology of assembled interconnection structures. Surface Mount Technology (SMT). Types of package and basic of manipulation. Solder pastes, adhesives, fluxes and their application. Adhesives and technology of adhesive joint. Soldering processes and technology of soldering and cleaning. Strategy of testing. Defects in interconnection structures and their causes.
Optimization of production process.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be able to:
define basic principles from assembly and inteconnection techniques, explain levels of interconnection
describe sorts and explain methods of assembled joint realisation. Describe and explain factors influencing quality of assembled joint
explain technology procedure of multilayer PCB with microvia. Describe and explain individual production step
explain mechanism of adhesion joint, properties and types of physically hardened and chemically cured adhesives
explain mechanism of solder joint, solder joint requirements, soldering techniques, diferences between tin/lead and lead free solder joint. Explain chemistry and cleaning techniques of PCBś and assembled PCBś
technology analysis of PCB - student is able to choose compatible technology process of PCB realisation, process of components assembly and PCB material
The subject knowledge on the Bachelor´s degree level is requested.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Starý,J.,Šandera,J.,Kahle P.:Plošné spoje a povrchová montáž, PC DIR-REAL Brno, 1999 (CS)
Normy ANSI/IPC-A-610 rev. E,The Institute for Electronic and Packaging Electronic Circuits, USA, ANSI/IPC-CM-770C a ANSI/IPC-SM-782 a normy ČSN EN dle doporučení (CS)
Wassink, R. J. K.:Manufacturing Techniques for Surface Mounted Assemblies,Electrochemical Publications Ltd, GB 1995 (EN)
Lea, C.:A Scientific Guide to Surface Mount Technology, Electrochemical Publications Ltd, GB 1998 (EN)
Starý, j., Zatloukal, M., Stejskal, P.: MMOT - Montážní a propojovací technologie (CS)
Hwang, J., S.:Environment-Friendly Electronics: Lead Free Technology, Electrochemical Publications Limited 2001, ISBN 0 901150 401 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teachning methods include lectures, practical laboratories and excursions.Lectures are based on Power Point presentation with videos. Education is guided with practically oriented questions especially in laboratories that are oriented to topics for practical application Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system. Students have to write a single project/assignment during the course.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation of laboratory works - max 15 points, test - max 25 points, final written examination - max 50 points, oral final examination - max 10 points. Written and oral part of final examination are duty. Progress to oral part of final examination is only after receiving min 25 points from written part of final examination. Oral part of final examination is passed with min 4 points.
Examination is oriented to evaluation of received knowledges from interconnection and assembly technology topics and in practical orientation technology analysis of real assembled PCB. Student in this analysis demonstrates ability to choose conforming technology procedure of components assembly and of PCB realisation (step by step) including guestions of applied material.
Requirements for completion of a course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every year.
Language of instruction
1. Interconnection techniques, methods, properties. Levels of interconnection. Base materials for Printed Circuit Boards (PCBś) production, organic, inorganic, reinforcements, resins, copper clad materials. Base materials organic rigid, flexible, rigid/flexible, semiflexible. Properties: electrical, mechanical, thermal, chemical. Standard ČSN EN 61249 – xx – xx. Organic base materials, properties. Base materials inorganic, comparison with organic. Requirements for base materials, latest trends and development in base materials area. MID.
2. Interconnection structures, types. Subtractive, semiaditive and aditive methods of production interconnecton structures. PCBś production - main orientation. Base steps in PCBś production. Technology procedure of single, double and multilayer PCB.
3. Interconnection structures with microvia, SBU methods. PCBś assembly - through hole technology (THT) and surface mount technology (SMT), mixed. Technology procedures. Latest trends in SMT.
4. "Chemistry in assembly" and correct application in process /solder paste, solder alloy, flux, adhesive, conformal coating, packaging material/
5. Interconnection 1-st level, bonding techniques, packaging. (Szendiuch/Starý 2 hrs)
6. Surface mount devices (SMDś), packages, properties, type of leads, IC packages, passive components, elektromechanical devices, BGA packages, construction. (Šandera) (2 hrs.)
7. Adhesives I.
8. Adhesives II Application techniques, screen/stencil printing, dispensing/. Basic for quality in printing, factors.
9. Soldering, solder joint, requirements for solder joint. Soldered joint vs. welded joint vs. joint realised with adhesive - comparison. Methods of soldering. Requirements for quality of placement and soldering acc. to IPC A 610 rev. E.
10. Solder joint reliability. Lead free vs. lead soldering. Wave soldering (mass), nitrogen atmosphere infuence. Manual soldering, principles, soldering tips maintenance. Reflow soldering, methods, forced convection and nitrogen atmosphere influence.Temperature profile measurememts. Thermal management of PCB.
11. Cleaning techniques. Cleaning medias, microemulsion. PCB contamination, measuring. Flux residues and defects.
12. Mechanically realised connections, types, properties.
13. Quality control, methods. Testing of assembled and non-assembled PCBś. Automatic Optical Inspection (AOI). SPI. Statistical tools for quality testing and improvement.
The aim of the subject is to make students familiar with the problems of Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs). Knowlodges espec. from SMT, solder and adhesive joint realisation will be on higher level. Students will have practically closer view for individul factors in each operation and their influence for production process quality.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-ML Master's
branch ML-EVM , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory
- Programme EEKR-ML1 Master's
- Programme EEKR-ML Master's
branch ML-MEL , 2. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, optional specialized
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory