ICT Security 1
FEKT-TIC1Acad. year: 2015/2016
The course covers the topics dealing with secure configuration and administration of modern operating systems. In particular, these topics are included: Windows, Linux and OS X encryption, authentication subsystems of Windows, Linux and OS X platforms, network security features of Windows, Linux and OS X platforms, iOS and Android security architecture, virtualization platform specifics and introduction into special security-enhanced operation systems.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will learn the practical knowledge from the modern operating system security. The main stress is put to the most popular OS platforms, namely Windows, Linux and OS X. For each platform, the students learn how to use built-in mechanisms for data encryption, authentication and network security. Students also learn the principles of iOS and Android mobile platform security. After successful completions, the students will be able to:
- Analyze and correctly implement the encryption mechanisms on Windows, Linux and OS X operating systems.
- Analyze and correctly implement the authentication mechanisms on Windows, Linux and OS X operating systems.
- Explain the principles and manage security mechanisms of the network subsystems on Windows, Linux and OS X operating systems.
- Explain the basic principles of the iOS and Android platform security.
- Use the basic security principles in the virtualized environment.
No special prerequisites are required. Only high school knowledge and general PC usage experience is expected.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Methods of educations are described in the article 7 of the BUT’s Study and Examination Regulation. Teaching methods include lectures, laboratories and individual projects. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The maximum of 25 points is given upon completion of the laboratory assignments. The completion of an individual project adds upto 25 points. The requirements on the completion of the tasks in laboratories and projects are described in the annual supervisor’s notice. The maximum of 50 points can be gained during the final exam.
Language of instruction
1. Operating system security introduction
2. Data protection on OS Windows
3. Network security on OS Windows
4. Authentication on OS Windows
5. Data protection on OS Linux
6. Network security on OS Linux
7. Authentication on OS Linux
8. Data protection on OS X
9. Network security on OS X
10. Authentication on OS X
11. Mobile OS security
12. Security aspects of virtualization platforms
13. Special operating systems
The goal of the course is to provide students with the information about the security architecture of modern operating systems. The students will learn both theoretical and practical aspects of Windows, Linux and OS X security features. The security of mobile and virtualization platforms is also covered in this course.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The conditions for the successful course completion are stated in the yearly updated supervisor’s notice.