Special devices for healthcare and ecology
FEKT-MALEAcad. year: 2015/2016
The course deals: principles and use of ultrasound, ionizing and non-ionizing radiation, lasers, accelerated electrons and protons. Discussed are ultrasound surgery, vkv hyperthermia and radiofrequency ablation, radiotherapy accelerated electrons and protons, gamma knife, stone crushers ESWL and PEK. Further applications of lasers in medicine, cardiopulmonary and renal extracorporeal circulation of blood, interventional cardiology systems, ventilation and anesthesia systems, defibrillators, prosthetic bodies. Surgical robot. Systems of biochemical and immunological laboratory.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student is able to:
- explain the basic laws of ultraacoustics,
- describe the various methods of power ultrasound in surgery, ultrasonic knife
- explain the principle vkv tissue heating and radiofrequency ablation,
- describe the accelerators of electrons and hadrons,
- describe the Leksell gamma knife,
- explain the principle of optical scalpel,
- describe the principle and function blocks cardiopulmonary extracorporeal circulation of blood,
- describe the principle and function blocks hemodialysis monitor
- explain the principle of interventional cardiology,
- describe the various types of functional prostheses,
- describe the function of operating the robot,
- explain the principles applied in biochemical automatic systems,
- describe the external and implantable defibrillator.
Student who writes this article should be able to:
- explain the basic principles of physical fields,
- apply the basic principles and electrotechnic laws,
- interpret the basic units of physical quantities,
- the basic principles of biology and physiology,
- the basic principles of physical chemistry,
- the basic principles of biochemistry.
General knowledge is required at the level of bachelor's degree.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Bronzino J.D. et al.: The Biomedical Engineering Handbbok. Academic Press, San Diego 1988 (EN)
Kline et al.: Handbook of Biomedical engineering. Academic Press, San Diego 1988. (EN)
Rozman J. a kol.: Elektronické přístroje v lékařství. Academia, Praha 2006
Rozman J.: Terapeutická technika. VUT FEI, Brno, 2000
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. Teaching methods include lectures and practical laboratories. Course is taking advantage of e-learning systems.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Up to 40 points for lab - student gets points for the measurement protocol 1 and 3 excursions at the clinics,
up to 60 points for the oral exam.
To pass the examination must be obtained from oral at least 10 points.
The test focuses on the verification of basic knowledge of the principles of ultrasound, vkv and radiotherapy systems, laser applications, extracorporeal circulation, ventilation systems, prostheses, defibrillators and biochemical automatic systems.
Language of instruction
1. Fundamentals and principles of ultrasonic surgical applications ulktrazvuku.
2. VKV diathermy and hyperthermy, radiofrequency ablation.
3. Radiotherapy by means accelerated electrons and hadrons.
4. Leksell gamma knife.
5. Concrement crushers ESWL and PEK.
6. Applications of lasers in medicine.
7. Cardiopulmonary extracorporeal circulation of blood. Ventilation systems.
8. Hemodialysis, hemofiltrate, plasmaferesis.
9. Interventional cardiology by means system CARTO and NAVX.
10. Replacements of organs.
11. Surgical robots.
12. External and implantable defibrillators.
13. Biochemical automatic system.
The aim of the course is to provide students with basic information about ultrasonic surgical devices, vkv diathermy and hyperthermy, accelerator electrons and hadrons, gamma knife, stone crushers and lasers in medicine. Are also discussed extracorporeal circulation of blood cardiopulmonary and renal, ventilation systems, interventional cardiology, defibrillators, surgical robots, the artificial organs and biochemical automatic system.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation:
Laboratory is compulsory, correctly excused absences laboratory exercises or excursions can be in agreement with the substitute teacher.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme EEKR-M Master's
branch M-BEI , 2. year of study, winter semester, 6 credits, compulsory
- Programme EEKR-M1 Master's
branch M1-BEI , 2. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, winter semester, 5 credits, compulsory