High-speed Communications Systems
FEKT-BVKSAcad. year: 2015/2016
The course is designed for those who want to have a deeper knowledge of Synchronous Digital Hierarchy SDH, basics of Asynchronous Transfer Mode ATM and, above all, modern technologies such as Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, 10 Gbit Ethernet, 40 Gbit Ethernet, 100 Gbit Ethernet and Frame Relay. Students will be made familiar with the Telecommunication Management Network TMN. They will gain practical experience of the CISCO 2821 system, with emphasis on IP telephony in CISCO networks and on IP-MPLS routing. Students will deepen their understanding of VoIP signalling protocols, covered protocol set H.323 and Quality of Service QoS in connection with VoIP.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
On course completion, students will be able to:
- explain the specificity of Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, 10 Gigabit Ethernet, 40 Gigabit Ethernet, and 100 Gigabit Ethernet,
- demonstrate the bases of Asynchronous Transfer Mode ATM,
- reproduce the ITU-T SDH Recommendation,
- appraise the multiplex SDH structure,
- interpret the integration of contributory signals to SDH,
- demonstrate the architecture of the Czech Republic synchronization network,
- demonstrate the bases of a Telecommunication Management Network TMN,
- characterize voice transmission using VoIP,
- operate IP-MPLS routing,
- enumerate important transmission protocols,
- explore VoIP and QoS,
- discuss analogue and digital voice ports,
- utilize plan of dialling,
- experiment with the high-speed CISCO system,
- demonstrate the IOS operational system.
Suitable but not necessary skills are: - explain the basic terms of digital transmission of information, - describe the most important parts of a converged network, - explain the structure of frame and multiframe E1 by the G.703 Recommendation, - interpret the basis of digital hierarchy, - define the Ethernet principle. There is no course the completion of which should be a necessary requirement for enrolling on this course.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
ŠKORPIL, V.: Vysokorychlostní komunikační systémy. VUT, Brno 2013.
PETRÁSEK,J., PETRÁSEK,M., ŠKOP.M.: Synchronní digitální hierarchie. ČVUT, Praha 1994.
WALLACE,K. Cisco VoIP, autorizovaný výukový průvodce. Computer Press, Brno 2009.
ODOM,W., HEALY,R., MEHTA,N.: Směrování a přepínání sítí. Computer Press, Brno 2009.
DAVIDSON, J., FOX, T.: Deploying Cisco Voice over IP Solution. Cisco Press, Indianapolis 2003.
MARK, A., MILLER, P.E.: Voice over IP Technologies. M&T Books, New York 2002.
DEEPANKAR, M., KARTHIKEYAN, R.: Network Routing. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco 2007.
DINKAR, S., ASIT, D.: Multimedia Servers. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco 2000.
PETERSON, L.L., DAVIE, B.S.: Computer Networks. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco 2007.
ŠKORPIL, V., VYCHODIL, P., KAPOUN, V. Konvergence v telekomunikacích pro integrovanou výuku VUT a VŠB-TUO
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods include lectures, practical laboratories and computer laboratories. The part of this course is a project and a presentation of results in power point. Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
0-5 points – activity in laboratory,
0-10 points - written test in laboratory, (optional part),
0-15 points – elaboration of individual project,
0-70 points - written exam with e-learning support, compulsory part for course completion.
The exam is focused on verifying the orientation of high-speed communication systems with a view to SDH and Ethernet.
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to High-speed communication systems. The technologies used. Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, 40 Gbit Ethernet, Gbit Ethernet. Synchronous Digital Hierarchy SDH. Asynchronous Transfer Mode ATM. Other high-speed technologies. The CISCO 2821 high-speed system. IP telephony in CISCO networks, routing IP-MPLS.
2 Synchronous Digital Hierarchy - SDH. Recommendation ITU-T about SDH, multiplex structure of SDH, frame STM-1 structure, synchronous multiplexing STM-1 to STM-4, SDH generation.
3. Integration of 4th-order PDH into STM-1, pointer AU-4/PTS, stuffing of frame beginning, integration of E1 into STM-1. Ethernet over SDH. Network elements and nodes of SDH. Structure of SDH networks.
4. Architecture of the Czech synchronization network. Quality of digital channel evaluation, area of using Rec. G.826.
5. ATM technology. ATM cell, interfaces of ATM networks, ATM connection, addressing in ATM, reference model of ATM. ATM adaptive layer, ATM quality of service.
6. TMN - Telecommunication Management Network. Function blocks of TMN. Physical TMN architecture.
7. Basics of voice transmission using IP. Using the CISCO technology. The principles of VoIP, VoIP signalling protocols, set of covering protocols H.323.
8. IP-MPLS routing.
9. Important protocols MGCP, SIP (Session Initiation Protocol), SCCP (Skinny Client Control Protocol).
10. Protocols for media transports RTP (Real Time Transport Protocol), RTCP (RTP Control Protocol), cRTP (Compressed RTP), sRTP (Secure RTP). VoIP gates, hardware gates.
11. VoIP and QoS. Sound quality for IP, the methods used, voice packets, processing by codecs, processing by DSP processors.
12. Analogue voice ports, local calling, calling in network, calling out of network, voice ports on CISCO IOS routers, analogue voice port configuration, trunks, Dial-peers. Digital voice ports, digital trunks, CAS T1, CAS E1 R2, QSIG. Gate control, H.323 protocol, implementation of MGCP gates, implementation of SIP gates.
13. Plan of dialling. Addressing of end points. Routing of calling and path selection. Handling of digits. Calling privilege, calling monitoring, requirements for dialling plan. Problem termination.
The aim of this course is to provide a detailed knowledge of high-speed communications systems, the backbone of present-day telecommunication networks. Students obtain a deeper knowledge of SDH and advanced applications of Ethernet network protocols with focus on voice transmission VoIP. Practical experience of the CISCO experimental high-speed network is an integral feature.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at laboratories is compulsory, justified absence can be made up after prior arrangement with the instructor.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme IBEP-T Bachelor's
- Programme EEKR-B Bachelor's
- Programme EEKR-CZV lifelong learning
branch ET-CZV , 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, optional specialized