Bioceramics materials and biocomposites
CEITEC VUT-DS202AAk. rok: 2020/2021
PhD course is focused on biomaterials for replacement, repair, and coexistence with hard tissues. The course first introduces students to the structure, properties and physiology of bone tissue, and biocompatibility of biomaterials especially with bone tissues. In another part of the course are presented types and properties of bulk Bioceramics and coatings for orthopedic and dental applications. Furthermore, the course deals with the testing of mechanical properties, tribological properties and biocompatibility of biomaterials. The conclusion of the course is devoted to the preparation and processing of biomaterials and their applications.
Doporučená nebo povinná literatura
Rivaglioli A., Krajewski A.: Bioceramics, Chapman and Hall, London 1992
Mann S. a spol. (ed): Biomineralization, WCH, New York 1989
Fischman a spol. (ed): Bioceramics: Materials and Applications, Am. Ceram. Soc., Ohio 1994
Rieke P. C. a spol. (ed): Materials Synthesis Utilizing Biological Processes, MRS, Pittsburg 1990
1. Physico-chemical properties and physiology of bones: The nature and physiology of bone. Bone
formation. Transplantation. Specific properties of bone. The structure and composition of bones.
2. General problems associated with the use of biomaterials: Fixing. The response of the organism.
3. Compatibility between bioceramics and physiological environment: Interface ceramic/tissue.
Tissue response. Biomaterial compatibility. Thrombogenic effect of biomaterial in contact with
4. Biomaterials for surgical applications: Types of sizes. Types of biomaterials: metals, polymers,
ceramics and composites.
5. Ceramic and glass coatings: Metal substrates. Metal/nonmetal interface. Deposition of coatings.
6. Bulk ceramics and glass-ceramic materials.
7. Mechanical design of joint implants: Methods of preparation. Joint replacements. Materials.
8. Mechanical testing of joint implants: Tribology. Hardness. Strength. Static fatigue. Dynamic tests.
9. Dental implants: Types. Materials. Applications.
10. International testing of implants: Biocompatibility. Mechanical tests. Dimensional accuracy.
Abrasion resistance. Strength. Chemical corrosion. Thermal expansion.
11. Processing of bioceramic bulk materials and coatings