International Business and Management
Faculty: FBMAbbreviation: MGR-IBMAcad. year: 2020/2021
Type of study programme: Master's
Study programme code: N0413A050029
Degree awarded: Ing.
Language of instruction: English
Accreditation: 8.10.2019 - 8.10.2029
Profile of the programme
Mode of study
Standard study length
Degree Programme Board
doc. Ing. Miloš Koch, CSc.
prof. Ing. Vojtěch Koráb, Dr., MBA, Ing. Jiří Kříž, Ph.D., doc. Ing. Vít Chlebovský, Ph.D., doc. Ing. Vojtěch Bartoš, Ph.D., prof. Ing. Tomáš Meluzín, Ph.D., prof. Ing. Mária Režňáková, CSc., doc. PhDr. Iveta Šimberová, Ph.D., doc. Ing. et Ing. Stanislav Škapa, Ph.D., doc. Ing. Robert Zich, Ph.D.
Ing. et Ing. Miloš Škrdlík, M.Sc.
Fields of education
The International Business and Management Master's programme with academic focus aims to educate experts highly qualified to manage companies on an international scale with their expertise including the related managerial, business, and economic aspects, who can work in middle and top management positions, particularly those of international organizations and corporations.
The graduates of the follow-up International Business and Management Master's programme with academic focus (IBM) will be prepared for international management of companies and leadership of inter-disciplinary and inter-cultural teams at multi-national as well as national (domestic) organizations and corporations in line with the trends of the global environment and their impact on national specifics. They will gain a comprehensive theoretical background and skills for managing enterprise activities and processes developing international business activities of organizations and corporations, thus, improving their competencies for successful work in managerial positions of multi-national or domestic organizations and corporations operating on an international scale. The International Business and Management Master's programme with academic focus is strongly global-environment-oriented taking into account impacts on national specifics. It is taught in English offering a comprehensive view of each aspect of international management of companies along with the related managerial, business, and economic aspects.
Graduates in this programme will be able to critically analyze the problems arising in the processes of managing organizations and corporations on an international scale focusing on their business activities, and propose strategic managerial solutions based on their theoretical background and specific expertise as well as on their practical skills and competencies. Thanks to the managerial, economic, and business skills acquired, they will be able to define the problems to be solved by interdisciplinary teams, to efficiently coordinate the activities of teams finding solutions with respect to the international environment of organizations and corporations.
Graduates will understand the economic and political processes in the world and particularly in the EU, being able to critically assess the current economic and political challenges and impacts on the environment of organizations and corporations.
Graduates will also gain deep knowledge on and broad understanding of economic theories related to trade, marketing, and management, gaining insights into the concepts and methods corresponding to the current state of knowledge in the above fields. They will be able to conduct research as independent experts.
The knowledge, skills, and competencies gained may be divided into the below groups:
Economy / politics
• knowledge: thorough understanding of key economic concepts, categories, and relations in the context of major economic theories, and international relations with a focus on the political and economic processes in the worlds and in the EU;
• skills: using international economic expertise, ability to critically analyze and interpret economic data and information from various points of view and to work with different theoretical, methodological, value, and other points of departure;
• competencies: economist or economic analyst proficient in the latest trends in international economy able to define a strategy of economic development of international organizations and corporations.
• knowledge: methods and procedures for planning, management, organizing, and reviewing tasks of the economic management of an organization; understanding economic and managerial processes and their specific features on an international scale;
• skills: defining partial task relating to the solution of a problem to be worked on by other members of a team and coordinating the activities of a team towards solving a problem;
• competencies: management of organizations at higher hierarchy levels, particularly international organizations and corporations, finding a solution to an unpredictable emergency situation (crisis management, enterprise critical applications);
• knowledge: theory and principles of international economic and business processes and policies;
• skills: formulating and assessing business, marketing strategies on an international scale; or characterizing the specifics of enterprise functions and processes on an international scale and classifying the methods and tools of international trade, international marketing;
• competencies: business manager with comprehensive knowledge and skills that comply with international business trends; the manager can define strategic business trends of enterprise/organisation development with respect to the development of international environment.
Presentation and communication
• knowledge: graduates can present their own results communicating with the users and suppliers taking into consideration the cultural differences;
• skills: conducting negotiations, formulating and presenting problems with solutions and measures proposed, use of IT and SW support for presentation and analytic tasks;
• competencies: responsibility for economic, business, managerial decision-making at a company concerning presentation and communication.
• knowledge: cognisance of scientific methodology and use of scientific approaches;
• skills: ability to define and analyze a problem, proposing a solution along with a critical evaluation of the solution proposed;
• competencies: preparing and conduction a marketing business research.
• knowledge: business English proficiency;
• skills: good understanding of business-related English text, being able to write research papers in English and fluently participating in English debates,
• competencies: preparing and conducting meetings and discussions in English, presenting in English
The profile of a graduate in International Business and Management is well suited for the positions at international organizations and corporations requiring managerial excellence, particularly in the EU countries. Typical positions for graduates are:
Heads of Business Sections
The best graduates can go on studying a doctoral programme.
Study plan creation
The curricula of the International Business and Management Master's programme with academic focus have been designed in compliance with the standards of the National Accreditation Office, based on the BUT Curricula Regulations, and with respect to Direction no. 69/2017 CU Curricula Standards.
The group of profile theoretical subjects includes those related to the theoretical and methodological foundations of the relevant education field providing the graduates with knowledge instrumental in achieving the specialized expertise listed in the graduate's profile, namely:
• Global Business Environment
• International Economics
• International Marketing
• Strategic Management
The group of profile subjects includes those providing the graduates with knowledge and skills substantial for achieving the specialized expertise and skills listed in the graduate's profile and that relate to or condition the knowledge and skills listed in the thematic areas to be verified by a final state examination, namely:
• Applied Statistics
• Business Intelligence
• Brand Management
• Business Research Methods
• International Business
• International Finance
• Intercultural Management
• International Project Management
• Knowledge Management
• Management Information System
• Risk Management
• Strategic Game - Market Place
• Finance and Accounting for Business Strategy
• Cost Management
• International Supply Chain Management
• International Capital Markets
As an optional course, students may choose Physical Education, for which no credit is received.
What degree programme types may have preceded
The degree programme follows the Bachelor's programmes offered by the BUT Faculty of Business and Management. A graduate in the Business and Management Master's programme with academic focus may continue to study the Company Management and Economics doctoral programme offered by the BUT Faculty of Business and Management.
Course structure diagram with ECTS credits
|IBasP||Applied Statistics||en||6||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 26 / C1 - 13||yes|
|IBgbeP||Global Business Environment||en||5||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 13 / C1 - 13||yes|
|IBimP||Intercultural Management||en||5||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 13 / C1 - 13||yes|
|ifP||International Finance||en||6||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 26 / C1 - 13||yes|
|ERRmisP||Management Information Systems||en||6||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 26 / C1 - 13||yes|
|IBsmP||Strategic Management||en||6||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 26 / C1 - 13||yes|
|ibP||International Business||en||6||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 26 / C1 - 13||yes|
|ieP||International Economics||en||5||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 13 / C1 - 13||yes|
|IBinmP||International Marketing||en||6||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 26 / C1 - 13||yes|
|IBiscP||International Supply Chain Management||en||5||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 13 / C1 - 13||yes|
|IBrmP||Risk Management||en||5||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 13 / C1 - 13||yes|
|sbmP||Strategic Brand Management||en||6||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 26 / C1 - 13||yes|
|IBbiP||Business Intelligence||en||6||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 26 / C1 - 13||yes|
|IBbrmP||Business Research Methods||en||5||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 13 / C1 - 13||yes|
|IBicmP||International Capital Markets||en||5||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 13 / C1 - 13||yes|
|IBipmP||International Project Management||en||6||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 26 / C1 - 13||yes|
|IBkmP||Knowledge Management||en||6||Compulsory||Cr,Ex||P - 26 / C1 - 13||yes|
|IBsgP||Strategic Game - Strategic Business Development||en||4||Compulsory||GCr||C1 - 26||yes|
|IBdisP||Dissertation||en||30||Compulsory||GCr||C1 - 10||yes|
Responsibility: Miroslav Lapčík