Extra-mural and other leisure activities
Brno has a number of cinemas, several theatres, clubs, and dancing and concert halls. There are many festivals, cultural and sports events held in the city regularly every year. Every month a thorough list of upcoming cultural events in Brno can be found in the ”Where in Brno” brochure available in Turist Information Centre (Radnická 8, tel.: 542 427 111/102) and in a number of bookstores and newspaper stands. You can also pick up a free weekly information leaflet Downtown in TIC or elsewhere in cinemas, restaurants, department store, etc.
Radnická 8 - 542 214 379, 606 738 098 (offers all kind of information, arrange accomodation, sells tickets), email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Nádražní 6 - 542 221 450
Mendlovo nám. 16 - 543 242 236
On the websites you can find a list of upcoming cultural events in Brno.
Museums and galleries
The four main institutions here are the Moravian Museum, The Moravian Gallery, the Museum of the City of Brno and the House of Art (Dům umění), each of which has facilities at more than one location. Besides their permanent collections, which are described below, they also hold many temporary exhibitions each year. All museums and galleries are closed on Mondays; in addition, the Moravian Museum is closed on Sundays and the Moravian Gallery on Tuesdays.
In addition to the above institutions, of course, there are many galleries, both public and private, with continually changing exhibitions of paintings, sculpture, graphic works, and photographs and media art. One of these, the Design Centre of the Czech Republic (Radnická 2), specializes in publicizing the latest in all aspects of Czech design.
The theatres in Brno offer a wide range of stage productions – dramas, operas, ballets, operettas, musicals and puppet plays. More information can be found on this link: http://www.gotobrno.cz/en/kultura-divadla/og57
Here we list only the main theatres:
- The Janáček Theatre (Rooseveltova 1-7, booking office– Dvořákova 11, phone: 542 123 411, email: email@example.com)
- The Mahen Theatre (Malinovského nám. 1, booking office – Dvořákova 11phone: 542 123 411, email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- The Brno City Theatre (Lidická 16, phone: 545 212 024, email: email@example.com)
- The Goose on a String Theatre (Zelný trh 9, phone: 542 123 411, email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- HaDivadlo (Sukova 4/6, phone: 530 330 869, email: email@example.com)
- The Bolek Polívka Theatre (Jakubské nám. 5, phone: 542 214 903, email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Studio Marta (Bayerova 5, phone: 542 591 510, email: email@example.com)
- Radost Puppet Theatre (Bratislavská 32, phone: 545 321 273, email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- There are plenty of cinemas in Brno, and the city now has two multiplex cinemas, one in the centre of the city at Velký Špalíček shopping centre (Mečová street) the other at the Olympia hyper-store on the city’s outskirts (reachable by free shuttle-bus from the stop alongside the Tesco department store behind the main railway station).
- For those with a deeper interest in film, there are other possibilities. The Kino Art cinema (Cihlářská 19) or Kino Scala (Moravské nám. 3) offers a good selection of less commercial films and film classics, films not targeted at the general public, films from unusual countries and so on.
Concert Halls – classical music
- The State Philharmonic Orchestra in Brno (Besední dům, Komenského nám. 8, tel.: 542 214 255) http://www.musica.cz/en/
- Faculty of Music at the Janáček Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts in Brno (Komenského nám. 6, tel.: 542 321 307)
Concerts – clubs, pop music, other music styles
Brno has many clubs. The list of clubs can be found at this link: http://www.gotobrno.cz/en/culture-clubs/og62
Moravian Library (Moravská zemská knihovna)
Kounicova 65a, phone: 541 646 201, email: email@example.com, web: http://www.mzk.cz/en
It is the biggest general Brno library and is open to public, the library card for one-year costs 100 CZK (50 CZK for students). In order to obtain this card, you have to go to the ”Čtenářské průkazy” (Library Cards) section of the library, show your passport and pay the fee.
If you do not intend to use the library regularly, you can get a ”one-time use card” for a 10 CZK fee after presenting a valid form of your identification.
Unfortunately, you will not be allowed to take any book out of the library (even though if you are holder of Library Cards).
Jiří Mahen Library (Knihovna Jiřího Mahena)
Kobližná 4, tel.: 542 532 111 http://www.kjm.cz/about-library