Profile of the branch:|
Design and Process Engineering
· Designing, construction, calculation, technology of manufacturing, technical preparation of manufacturing including assembly and testing,
· Thermal and nuclear power plant devices such as steam and combustion turbines, steam generators, steam power plants and heating plants including nuclear power stations, industrial power engineering and their environmental aspects,
· Water turbines, hydrodynamic and hydrostatic pumps, piping systems, hydroelectric power plants, and pumping stations,
· Machinary and devices for chemical industry, food-stuff industry, and biotechnological treatment lines,
· Construction, modelling and theoretical studies of machines and devices for cutting, forming machines, industrial robots, and manipulators,
· Machine parts and mechanisms, methodology of designing machine elements and working mechanisms of general application with consideration of stochastic qualities of inputs, including the application of special types of machines and devices,
· Cars, vans and lorries, buses, trailers, semi-trailers, and motorcycles,
· Combustion engines for all types of vehicle drives, simulation of combustion engine thermomechanical systems, dynamics of driving gear, engine accessories, ecology,
· Machines and devices for in-plant handling of material and handling between operations, for the mining and transport of building materials, for passenger conveyance in buildings,
· Aerodynamic calculation and designing, flight mechanics, fatigue and durability of aircraft constructions, aeroelasticity of aircraft,
· Quality of machine industry production.
Key learning outcomes:|
Occupational profiles of graduates with examples:|
Issued topics of Doctoral Study Program:|
- Acoustic holography in diagnostic of passenger cars
High level of noise usually means bad design or malfunction of the machine. It is induced by undesirable vibrations of the machine. In lot of cases, there is impossible to identify cause of the noise in full operation of the machine. It is possible to localize noise sources, analyse core of the problem and adjust design by application of the acoustic mapping methods. Main goal is application of the acoustic holography for diagnostic of the noise sources in passenger cars. It is mainly experimental work with aim on imagination of acoustic properties of the object in 3D based on measurement of acoustic pressure levels.
- Automation of die spotting
Aim of this work is a development of automated solutions for machinery scraped by image analysis. Tracks of machine tool will be designed directly based on image analysis of scraping paint fingerprints. This is a development work focused on the methodology and software development.
- Brno Design
The aim is an art historical study in the field of visual communications design in mechanical engineering with an emphasis on the Brno region and international influences. It is a theoretical work that characterizes important personalities, companies and institutions in the context of the development of industrial design.
- Control system for monitoring of the 3D metal printing
The project is focused on development of online control system for monitoring and changing the process parameters of the selective laser melting. It is a theoretical work based on image analysis and application of contactless measuring methods.
- Design of magnetic circuits made by 3D printing
Vibration and shocks of the space carrier during flight cannot damage the satellite in cargo hold. Therefore, it is placed on mechanism capable of vibration damping. Most important parts of such mechanism are shock absorbers. Computer controlled hydraulic shock absorbers are product of latest development. It utilizes effect of magnetic field interacting with fluid with metal microparticles. Main goal is automatization of design process of the smart structures of the magnetic circuits. It is mainly experimental work, which should utilize 3D printed structures of the circuits to achieve its excellent magnetic properties, low weight and low losses due eddy currents.
- Design of upper limb prostheses.
The goal of this project is to develop conceptually new type of upper limb prostheses for specific types of activities, such as eg. sports or entertainment. It is a creative work based on the use of new materials and technologies.
- Development of bearings with active control of tribological parameters
The aim is to develop a method for measuring oil film usable for real bearings. It is a developmentally-experimental work aimed at developing a new system for the active bearing units.
- Development of bearings with grease auto-circulation
The aim is to develop a bearing having an improved grease lubrication based on studies of the distribution of the grease in real bearing. This is an experimental-design work, which includes the development of a simulator of real bearings.
- Development of measuring device for shape and dimensional control of forgings
The aim is to develop a fully automatic optical system that will measure the straightness of the axis of long forgings. This is a development work aimed at software development and testing.
- Development of semi-active control of shock absorbers
Vibration and shocks during ride of the train cannot damage comfort of the passengers, or increase rate of wear either of the train chassis or rail surface. Therefore, shock absorbers are most important parts of chassis. Computer controlled hydraulic shock absorbers are product of latest development. It utilizes effect of magnetic field interacting with fluid with metal microparticles. Main goal is design concept of the control and processing unit of the magnetorheologic dampers for railroad applications. It is mainly experimental work, which should utilize simulation of the selected vehicle to design and implement the suitable control algorithm.
- Development of semi-active suspension for train chassis
Vibration and shocks during ride of the train cannot damage comfort of the passengers, or increase rate of wear either of the train chassis or rail surface. Therefore, shock absorbers are most important parts of chassis. Computer controlled hydraulic shock absorbers are product of latest development. It utilizes effect of magnetic field interacting with fluid with metal microparticles. Main goal is application of the magnetorheologic dampers for the suspension of the recent trains with maximum speed above 200 km/h. It is mainly experimental work, which should introduce the innovative train chassis design to achieve significant decrease of wear either of the rail surface or chassis itself.
- Diagnosis of fluid mechanisms
The aim is further development of the application of acoustic emission method for the diagnosis of pneumatic and hydraulic cylinders for the purpose of early identification of damage creation. It is an experimental work based on cooperation with the manufacturers of diagnostic techniques and user from industrial practice.
- Early identification of damage by means of non-destructive testing
The aim is to develop and validate methodologies for the identification and quantification of structural changes that occur in cyclically loaded structures and machine parts. It is an experimental work focused on the correlation of results obtained using acoustic emission and other NDT methods.
- Electromagnetic properties of pure iron processed by metal 3D printing
The aim of the project is to determine the process parameters of selective laser melting, which enable the processing of pure iron for usege in electromagnetic applications. It is an experimental work involving the exploration of the physical and mechanical properties via simulations and real testing.
- Friction modifiers in rail transportation
The aim is to clarify the influence of friction modifiers and natural contaminants on the noise and wear of wheel and rail. It is an experimental work to verifying the results of laboratory measurements in real operation.
- Generative methods of computer aided design
Finding the appropriate form of the industrial product significantly influences its utility and functional value, market potential and other properties. To achieve them, it is necessary to choose the appropriate process and tools that rationalize the design process and allow to increase the number of iterative development steps. The aim of the dissertation is to create a form finding tool for industrial products, using additive technologies, on the basis of predefined requirements.
- Instabilities of lubricant films in hydrodynamic bearings
The aim is to clarify the mechanisms of lubricating film instabilities using a simulator with sapphire bearing. It is an experimental work which includes the development of a device for measuring the thickness, temperature and flow of lubricant in hydrodynamic bearings.
- Lubrication prediction of artificial knee joints
The aim is to clarify the process of the lubricant film formation between the femoral component and the plastic spacer of the knee joint replacement. It is an experimental work based on the use of fluorescence method and knee joint simulator.
- Mini-excavator equipped with electrohydraulic drive
The goal is to develop an ecological and effective electrohydraulic drive of a mini-excavator
which is able to operate without exhalations and noise of internal combustion engine. The work is oriented to development and optimization of drive using mathematical modeling in co-operation with the company Bosch Rexroth.
- Processing of large data sets of acoustic emission signal
The aim is to propose a new filtration process of data files obtained during continuous shooting of the acoustic emission signal in long term degradation processes. It is an experimentally oriented work extending to the signal processing theory.
- Selective laser melting of magnesium alloys
The aim of the project is to determine the process parameters of magnesium alloy, which enable the processing of material in bioapplications and surgery. It is an experimental work involving the exploration of the physical and mechanical properties via simulations and real testing.
- Stability of properties of magnetorheologic fluids
Vibration and shocks of the space carrier during flight cannot damage the satellite in cargo hold. Therefore, it is placed on mechanism capable of vibration damping. Most important parts of such mechanism are shock absorbers. Computer controlled hydraulic shock absorbers are product of latest development. It utilizes effect of magnetic field interacting with fluid with metal microparticles. Main goal is to identify and describe weak points of long-term operation of the hydraulic shock absorbers filled with magnetorheologic fluid. It is mainly experimental work including finishing of development of the rheometer for high flow rates.
- Study of processing of metallic materials by selective laser melting at elevated temperatures
The goal is to improve the mechanical properties and structure of metallic materials, especially those difficult to process by SLM technology, using increased process temperature and appropriate manufacturing strategy. This is an experimental work based on mechanical testing of materials and the synthesis of obtained results.
- Study of the behavior the coated plastic teeth
The aim is to increase the efficiency cost-optimized gearing based on the knowledge of the lubrication principles of coated plastics materials. This is an experimental work combining measurements of thickness, temperature, friction and wear.
- Topological optimization of additively manufactured components
The aim is to develop an optimization tool that takes into account the technological limits of additive manufacturing of metallic materials. This is a theoretical and experimental work based on computational modeling and verification using testing of mechanical properties.
- Transport design of the 60s and 70s of the 20th century.
The aim is to explore the genesis of the design of vehicles in that period, and identify the main developmental characteristics. It is a theoretical work based on examination of historical sources and design artifacts.
- Tribology of the wheel−rail contact
The aim is to clarify the behaviour of substances affecting the friction in contact between wheels and rails depending on the composition of the friction layer which is formed naturally on the surface of the contact bodies. This is experimental work investigating the interaction natural contaminants and substances applied to the contact between wheel and rail to control adhesion.
- 3D metal printing of lattice structures
The goal of this project is a development of laser process parameters which enable 3D printing of aluminum lattice structures with high mechanical properties. It is an experimental work based on the mechanical testing and the using of non-destructive methods of 3D digitization.
- 3D printing of aluminum alloys used in aircraft industry
The goal of the project is the development of the laser melting process parameters, which enable the processing of aluminum alloys for aviation industry. This experimental work involving the examination of the mechanical properties by means of fatigue tests.
- 3D printing of copper alloys
The goal of the project is the development of the process parameters of metal layered manufacturing, which enable the processing of copper alloys. It is an experimental work based on the evaluation of mechanical properties and studying the structure of materials.
- 3D printing of sized parts
The aim of the project is to develop an experimental printing head for the additive manufacturing of large parts via industrial robot. This is the design and development work involving the testing and programming.