Business English 2
FP-HA2PLAcad. year: 2019/2020
Very good knowledge of general language is required at least at intermediate level and at least basic knowledge of Business English. The course focuses on the characteristics of Business English at B1+ level. It provides students with the appropriate vocabulary and skills necessary for formal communication in economic professions.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course is intended to deepen the student’s language skills that are essential for professional communication using relevant vocabulary. Students will learn basic economic terminology that enable them to understand professional economic texts.
Good knowledge of general language at pre-intermediate level as minimum. Knowledge of professional language structures and vocabulary corresponding to the course Business English 1.
- compulsory co-requisite
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
COTTON, David, David FALVEY, Simon KENT, Bill MASCULL a John ROGERS. Market leader: intermediate: business English. 3rd ed. Harlow: Pearson Longman, 2010. ISBN 978-1-4082-3695-6.
MASCULL, B.: Business Vocabulary in Use Intermediate, CUP 2010
MURPHY, Raymond. English grammar in use: a self-study reference and practice book for intermediate learners of English: with answers. 4th ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, c2012, x, 380 s. ISBN 9780521189064.
MANN, Malcolm a Steve TAYLORE-KNOWLES. Destination B1: grammar and vocabulary : [with answer key]. Oxford: Macmillan, 2007. ISBN 9780230035362. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course it taught by means of language lessons focused on practicing language skills and developing vocabulary.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Assessment consists of the following parts:
75% attendance and active participation in lessons
E-learning test exercises
Language of instruction
The course follows the previous semester. It requires very good knowledge of the general language at least on a medium-advanced level. The course focuses on the characteristics of Business English at B1 level. It provides students with the appropriate vocabulary and skills necessary for formal communication in economic professions.
1. U7: Cultures - Cultural awareness in business, Cultures shock.
2. U7: Cultures - Business relationships, Giving advice, Expressing obligation and necessity.
3. U8: Human resources – Job interviews, Expressions for talking about job applications.
4. U8: Human resources – Infinitives and -ing forms, Getting information on the telephone.
5. U9: International markets – Development of international markets, Words and expressions for talking about free trade.
6. U9: International markets – Conditionals, Negotiating.
7. U10: Ethics – Ethics at work, Words to describe illegal activity or unethical behaviour.
8. U10: Ethics – Narrative tenses, Considering options.
9. U11: Leadership – Qualities of good relationship, Words to describe character .
10. U11: Leadership – Relative clauses, Presenting.
11. U12: Competition , Idioms from sport to describe competition.
12. U12: Competition – Passives, Negotiating.
13. Credit test
The aim of the course is to develop students' language skills that are used in professional communication (reading, listening, speaking, writing), and provide them with basic terminology and specific structures of professional language with the focus on ability to understand professional texts and communication on professional topics.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Students’ attendance and their participation in lessons is systematically monitored.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BAK-UAD Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BAK-EP Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BAK Bachelor's
branch BAK-UAD-D , 1. year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, compulsory-optional
branch BAK-EP , 1. year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, compulsory-optional
branch BAK-EPM , 1. year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme BAK-PM Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, compulsory-optional