Professional English 1
FP-OA1ZAcad. year: 2018/2019
An English course for intermediate students which prepares students for the compulsory course Professional English 2 (Odborná angličtina 2). Emphasis is put on practical language skills needed at work in the area of management and information technology.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will acquire the basic terminology and language skills necessary for communication in various situations in business and management, especially regarding company organization , production process, trading, presentations and financial matters. They will be made familiar with terminology necessary for work in IT and with professional IT materials.
Knowledge of English at CEF A2 level.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
HARDING,K., LANE, A.: International Express, Intermediate, Third Edition Student´s Book, OUP 2014. Kapitoly 1-5.
MURPHY, R.: English Grammar in Use. CUP 2004
MASCULL, B.: Business Vocabulary in Use Intermediate, CUP 2002
ESTERAS, S.R. and FABRE, E.M.: Professional English in Use ICT, CUP 2007
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Exercises promote the practical mastery of the subject presented in lectures or assigned for individual study with the active participation of students.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Credit: credit test
75% course attendance is required.
Language of instruction
1) Unit 1 – Present Simple and Present Continuous. Social networks and the internet.
2) Unit 1 – Writing a professional profile. Networking. Technical text.
3) Unit 2 – Past Simple, Present Perfect Simple and Present Perfect Continuous. Starting a new business. Phrasal verbs. Technical text.
4) Unit 2 – Team meetings. Checking progress; delegating tasks.
5) Unit 3 – will, may, might, be likely/ possible. The speed of change; describing cause and effect. Technical text.
6) Unit 3 – Writing emails 1: confirming arrangements. Making arrangements.
7) Revision. Technical text.
8) Unit 4 – Making comparisons. City descriptions; -ing vs -ed adjectives.
9) Unit 4 – Making presentations 1: using visual aids. Giving opinions. Technical text.
10) Unit 5 – Modal and related verbs: have to, must, need to, be allowed to, can. Colours and colour idioms; prefixes
11) Unit 5 – Telephoning. Giving advice and suggestions. Technical text.
12) Revison. Technical text.
13) Credit test.
Preparation for the compulsory course Professional English 2 (Odborná angličtina 2), development of all language skills, consolidation and deepening of knowledge of grammatical structures, and increase in vocabulary with special emphasis on language needed at work.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The content and forms of instruction in the evaluated course are specified by a regulation issued by the lecturer responsible for the course and updated for every academic year.