Ethics in Business
FAST-CZ052OptionalMaster's (2nd cycle)Acad. year: 2017/2018Summer semester1. year of study2 credits
Ethics, business ethics, ethics and morality, connection between ethics, economy and philosophy, history of ethics, overview of basic ethic directions and paradigms, personalities in history of ethics, importance of ethic cathegories to life, ethic inspiration for economy, new conceptions of ethics, social events and ethics, relations between ethics and business, economic pragmatism, utilitarism and liberalism, introduction to management of ethics, firm strategy and ethics, ethics in firm philosophy, ethics in firm culture, ethical codex, ethical auditing, moral personality development, ethics in firm culture, ethical dilemata in manager's activities, non-ethical examples in behaviour, corruption, lobbying, experiential training in ethics, ethical transformation.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge of ethic principles and their connections with management. Understanding of human change in firm culture, manager´s personality and firm strategy.
Mode of delivery
90 % face-to-face, 10 % distance learning
The subject follows to knowledge gained in the course of secondary education in subject Foundantions of Social Sciences or Civics, therefore no other technical or social science information is needed, knowledge of basic of law, psychology, sociology, philosophy, sociology or philosophy, interest in ethic topics, recognising and knowledge of society.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to ethics. Importance of ethics. The concept and benefits of ethics. Management and business ethics. Ethics and morality.
2. The basic elements of ethical theories. Traditional and modern concept. History of ethics. Man and ethics.
3. Historical-developmental changes of ethics, important ethical concepts and personalities, aim for present.
4. Ethics in Modern Ages. Relativism, material ethical values, positivism, a new concept of ethics. Contemporary ethical discourses.
5. Transformation of ethics into business. Economic pragmatism, utilitarism, liberalism and neoliberalism.
6. Introduction into ethics of management. Ethics of direction and accountability. Ethical decision-making process.
7. Relation between ethics and business. Personal morality and corporate ethics, ethical-professional personality character.
8. Manager and ethics - perspectives and changes. Development of a manager personality. Dichotomy in managerial praxis.
9. Implementation of ethics, the nature and importance. Moral development of company. Public relations.
10. Integrating of ethics into the corporate culture. The role of ethics in company development strategy. Social firm responsibility.
11. Ethics in business enterprise management. Ethics of labor relations in the company. Moral culture of contemporary businessman.
12. Ethical codex, examples. Ethical auditing of a firm. Non-ethical examples in behaviour, prevention and its solution.
13. Self-assessment exercise in the area of ethics and management. Ethical-social katechism.
Orientation in subject, ability to aplicate of knowledge, information and practises in professional and personal life.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer