Special Foundation Methods (KON)
FAST-CF051OptionalMaster's (2nd cycle)Acad. year: 2017/2018Summer semester1. year of study5 credits
This course is an analysis of selected technologies of special foundations with emphasis on their characteristics and their use in building and civil engineering.
Design and evaluation design will always be in accordance with the design of technology.
Pile foundations - focus mainly on the group effect.
Sheeting design - design and assessment of the various parts of sheeting systems, including anchors and struts. Application of the method of dependent pressures.
Micropiles - the use of micropiles, design calculation.
Jet grouting - design, structural details.
Nailed slopes - design calculation.
Special problems - aggressive environment - protection of elements of deep foundations; undermined areas, seismic areas, permafrost.
Practice various areas of special foundations will form the semester project.
Institute of Geotechnics (GTN)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will master the course objective and will be able to propose foundation structures of difficult structures at hard geotechnical conditions will be able to design modern special foundation technologies.
Mechanical behaviour of soils, basic principles of structural mechanics, theory of strength and elasticity, structure design, basic knowledge of the design of foundation structures and of the design of foundation pit sheeting.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction into special foundation methods. Literature, standards, technical journals.
2. Aspects of geotechnical investigations.
3. Pile foundations - single pile (axialy and horizontaly loaded).
4. Pile foundations - group of piles.
5. Micropiles - technology, appplication, design.
6. Deep excavation - structural details and their specifics (micropiles, sheet pile and soldier pile wall).
7. Deep excavation - structural details and their specifics (pile and diaphragm wall).
8. Modern methods of static design of sheeting.
9. Jet grouting - as foundations and retaining element.
10. Improvement of soils.
11. Nailing of slopes.
12.Special problems - aggressive environment - pile foundations.
13.Undermining areas. Seismic regions. Permafrost.
To teach the students how to propose foundation structures of difficult structures at hard geotechnical conditions. To acquaint the students with the modern special foundation technologies.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.