Metal Bridges 2 (KON)
FAST-CO059OptionalMaster's (2nd cycle)Acad. year: 2017/2018Summer semester1. year of study5 credits
Steel-concrete composite bridges - principles of the static behaviour, loading actions of steel-concrete composite bridges, basic principles of the static and structural design, elastic and plastic behaviour, short-term and long-term loading effects, influence of assembly.
Box girder bridges - principles of the static behaviour, basis of design and specific aspects of the static and structural design.
Arch bridges and frame bridges - types of bridges according to the static and structural design, principles of the static behaviour, basis of static and structral design.
Skewed bridges and curved bridges - principles of the static behaviour, basis of design and specific aspects of the static and structural design.
Suspension and cable-stayed bridges - general principles of the static behaviour, basis of static and structural design.
Special bridges - temporary bridges, demountable bridges, moveable bridges, floated bridges (informative view).
Steel and steel-concrete composite bridge supports - basis of static and structural design.
Manufacture and erection of metal bridges - basic methods and procedures of the erection, erection means, erection loads.
Metal bridges in practice - examples of realized bridge structures, practical aspects of the design of metal bridges.
Institute of Metal and Timber Structures (KDK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will learn the problems of the course and will get under controll the course aims, within the meaning of obtaining knowledge and skills in the field of design of more complicated structural systems of metal and steel-concrete bridges, concretized in the course schedule.
Design of members, components and connections of steel structures. Metal bridges - web-plated and truss bridges. Design of members and components of concrete structures. Static design of truss structures and arches including influence lines. Basis of static design of suspension and cable-stayed structures. Basis of structural dynamics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Composite steel-concrete bridges - loads, beams in the plastic behaviour (basis of static design), influence of the method of erection, short-term and long-term effects).
2. Composite steel-concrete bridges - beams in the plastic behaviour (principles of static design).
3. Composite steel-concrete bridges - shear connections (types, structural detailing, basis of design).
4. Box girder bridges - specific properties of box girder bridges, basis od static design, torsion of box girder bridges.
5. Arch bridges - types of arch bridges, structural composition, basic principles of static and structural design.
6. Arch bridges - specialties of structural design, frame bridges.
7. Skewed bridges - basis of structural composition, basis of static design.
8. Curved bridges - basis of structural composition, bysis of ststic design.
9. Suspension and cable-stayed bridges - principles of structural composition, material and structural members.
10. Suspension and cable-stayed bridges - basis of static design.
11. Steel and composite steel-concrete bridge supports - types, structural static design.
12. Special bridges - temporary bridges, movable bridges, floated bridges (basic information).
13. Manufacture and erection of metal bridge structures, examples of realized metal bridges, practical aspects of the design.
The objective of the subject is to introduce students to the problems of this course and to practise acquires knowledge and skills.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.