Metal Bridges 1
FAST-BO009CompulsoryBachelor's (1st cycle)Acad. year: 2017/2018Summer semester4. year of study5 credits
Basic concept and bridge terminology. Standards for structural design and construction of steel bridges.
Load of bridge structures. Basis of design of metal bridges. Bridge superstructure and deck – road and railway bridges.
Steel girder bridges – bridges with web-plate main girders, bridges with truss main girders.
Composite steel-concrete bridges – basic information.
Spatial rigidity and global stability of steel bridges. Bridge equipments and fittings.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will learn the problems of the course and will get under controll the course aims, within the meaning of obtaining knowledge and skills in the field of design of basic structural systems of metal and steel-concrete bridges, concretized in the course schedule.
Mode of delivery
90 % face-to-face, 10 % distance learning
Structural mechanics: basic principles of static solution - simple supported and continuous girders, truss structures. Metal structures - design of members and connections of steel structures. Concrete structures - basic principles of design of concrete structures.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Basic concepts, bridge terminology, main parts of the bridge, standards for the design and realization of steel bridges. Reliability and limit states of steel bridge structures.
2. Load of bridge structures - traffic load of road and railway bridges, climatic loading. Fatigue of steel bridge structures.
3. Superstructure and deck of railway bridges - basic types, rules of structural design and detailing.
4. Superstructure and deck of road bridges - basic types, rules of structural design and detailing.
5. Open decks - static behaviour principles, design rules of deck members.
6. Plate steel decks (orthotropic decks) - static design principles, shear lag of wide chord.
7. Beam bridges with web-plate main girders - static design principles, buckling of slender webs.
8. Composite steel-concrete beam bridges - basic principles of the behaviour, design rules.
9. Beam grids - basic rules of the structural design, static design principles.
10. Beam bridges with truss main girders - structural design rules, static design principles.
11. Bracings of bridge structures - types, function, loading, static design. Bridge accessories and attachment.
The objective of the subject is to introduce students to the problems of this course and to practise acquires knowledge and skills.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.