Technical Diagnostic Fundamentals
FSI-CTD-KAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course is focused on the most advanced knowledge in technical diagnostics. Attention is devoted to clarification of incorporation of technical diagnostics into the product quality and to familiarization with the basic terms which are important for technical diagnostics. The diagnostic system, model and signal which belong among such terms are explained and discussed. Further, the basic diagnostic methods are described and discussed in detail. It is the diagnostics of deformation and pressure including the basic measurement and evaluation methods of the object temperature condition. Attention is devoted to the existing measuring instruments, measurement methods, and especially, to the monitored system status assessment and evaluation. The students are also familiarized with the standards and legislation valid in technical diagnostics. The possible qualification and its acquirement in technical diagnostics are also presented in detail. The course is completed with the exercises in which the selected topics are practiced using the examples from industrial practice. The results and conclusions are also discussed in the exercises. The Technical Diagnostics 1 and 2 courses in the master study continue this course. By doing so, the student will acquire state-of-the-art knowledge in the field of multiparametric technical diagnostics of machines and equipment, even within the Industry 4.0 initiative.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Pursuant to the course contents, students will acquire basic knowledge in the field of technical systems diagnostics, which will allow them to engage in solving various problems related to the area in question in industrial engineering and electrotechnic practice.
Knowledge of mathematics and physics on the level of the bachelor studies completed so far is assumed.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
KREIDL,M; ŠMÍD,R. Technická diagnostika. Senzory-metody-analýza signálu. 1. vydání. Praha: BEN-technická literatura, 2006,408 s. ISBN 80-7300-158-6.
KREIDL,M; PETR,J; NOVÁK,J.; HOUFEK,P.; DOUBEK,P. Diagnostické systémy. 1. vydání. Praha: Vydavatelství ČVUT Praha, 2001. 352 s. ISBN 80-01-02349-4.
VOŠTOVÁ,V.; HELEBRANT,F.; JEŘÁBEK, K. Provoz a údržba strojů. 1. vydání. Praha: vydavatelství ČVUT Praha, 2002. 124 s. ISBN 80-01-02531-4.
HAMMER,Miloš. Metody umělé inteligence v diagnostice elektrických strojů. 1. vydání. Praha: BEN – technická literatura, 2009. 400 s. ISBN 978-80-7300-231-2.
MYKISKA,Antonín. Bezpečnost a spolehlivost technických systémů. 1. vydání. Praha: České vysoké učení technické v Praze, 2006,206 s. Učební texty ČVUT v Praze. Fakulta strojní. ISBN 80-01-02868-2.
MENTLÍK, V.; PIHERA,J.; POLANSKÝ,R.; PROSR,P.; TRNKA,P. Diagnostika elektrických zařízení. 1. vydání. Praha: BEN – technická literatura, 2008. 450 s. ISBN 987-80-7300-232-9.
HELEBRANT,F; ZIEGLER,J. Technická diagnostika a spolehlivost, II. Vibrodiagnostika. 1. vydání-dotisk. VŠB – Technická univerzita Ostrava, 2005. 178 s. ISBN 80-248-0650-9.
HAVRILLA, K. Technical Diagnostics: Collected Papers. Nova Science Pub Inc, 1988. 297 p. ISBN-13: 978-0941743419.
CZICHOS, H. Handbook of Technical Diagnostics. 2012. 650 p. SBN 978-3-642-25849-7.
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
According to the possibility of teaching can be organized lectures for students by practitioners and excursions to companies focused on activities related to the course content.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The course consists of exercises and lectures. Exercise is completed by credit (awarded in the 13th week). To obtain it is required 100% participation in exercises and activity in exercises. Students will work out the individual work in the prescribed range and quality. Based on the quality of the work in the exercise, the student earns up to 30 points for the exam The work must be submitted in writing and checked and recognized by the teacher. The test is realized by written test, student can get up to 70 points from this test, where 30 points from exercises. Evaluation of the test result is given by the ECTS grading scale.
Language of instruction
The objective of the course is to obtain basic knowledge in the field of technical systems diagnostics.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
The students’ participation and activity in seminars shall be checked. 100% participation in seminars is required; in case of absence, the student is obliged to substitute for the missed tuition in a way determined by the teacher.
Type of course unit
Guided consultation in combined form of studies
17 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Basic concepts of technical diagnostics.
2. Diagnostic systems and their description, legislation and qualification in technical diagnostics
3. Sensors, sensor parameters. Smart sensors
4. Technical diagnostics, classification, methods and means
5. Data collection for diagnostics of machines and equipment, ways of their evaluation
6. Thermodiagnostics - contact methods
7. Thermodiagnostics - contactless methods, thermography
8. Vibration diagnostics - principles of measurement, on-line diagnostics of machines and Industry 4.0
9. Vibrodiagnostics - frequency analysis, manifestations of defects in the frequency spectrum
10. Non-destructive diagnostics, NDT methods
12. Overview of other methods of technical diagnostics
44 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
Lessons: 9h (9 x 1 h)
1. Introduction, organizational issues, safety of work, basics of technical diagnostics, instrument diagnostic tools.
2. Characteristics of instrumentation used in practice. Basic parameters of instruments, basic operation of instruments.
3. Completion and evaluation of technical reports (protocols).
4 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
Lessons: 13h (13 x 1 h)
1. Contact temperature measurement - static properties of selected sensors.
2. Contact temperature measurement - dynamic properties of selected sensors.
3. Verification of thermal imaging properties - measurement focused on optical properties
4. Determination of emissivity of various materials by measurement.
5. Vibrodiagnostics - data processing, determination of rotational systems.
6. Vibration diagnostics - balancing of rotating machines
7. Vibration diagnostics - balancing of rotating machines