General English Exam
FSI-GEN3Acad. year: 2020/2021
The exam tests General English knowledge, vocabulary and skills acquired in previous study at B1 level. It consists of a written and an oral part.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, etc. Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken. Can produce connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. Is familiar with language and vocabulary specific for his/her professional life, describe how things work, describe the components of things and the like.
The scope corresponds to the Intermediate level and the content of the courses GEN1 and GEN2 (see courses documentation).
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
CLARE, Antonia, J. J. WILSON a Stephanie DIMOND-BAYIR. Speakout: intermediate. 2nd edition. Harlow: Pearson Education, . ISBN 978-1-292-11594-8. (pro studenty, kteří absolvovali kurzy A3/A4 v roce 2019/2020 a později)
MURPHY, Raymond. English Grammar in Use: A self-study reference and practice book for intermediate learners of English : with answers. 4th ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012. ISBN 978-0-521-18906-4. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Separately registered exam folowing previous language lessons.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The exam has a written and an oral part and tests the General English knowledge at B1 level. The written part focuses on reading, listening, cloze test, grammar and vocabulary. The oral part tests fluency, pronunciation and ability to use vocabulary and grammar covered in the compulsory literature. In both parts, students are required to collect at least 50% of the points.
Language of instruction
The aim of the examination is to prove student's knowledge, skills and vocabulary. He/she is expected to use the language as an independent user.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
There are no lessons.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme B-ENE-P Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory
- Programme B-STR-P Bachelor's
specialization STR , 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory
- Programme B3S-P Bachelor's
branch B-PRP , 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory
- Programme B-ZSI-P Bachelor's
- Programme B-STI-A Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory
- Programme B-PDS-P Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory
- Programme B-MAI-P Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory
- Programme B-MET-P Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory
- Programme B-FIN-P Bachelor's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 2 credits, compulsory