Earth Working Machinery
FSI-QZEAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course introduces with the working technology of the earthmoving machines, types of earthmoving machines, design of earthmoving machine drives, and the latest technology of control and driving of the earthmoving machines.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Ability to design a conception of the earthmoving machines, force proportion on the working device with a respect to a working technology. They will be able to design geometry and kinematics of the working device. They will also design of the optimal technological assembly for carrying out earthwork and determine their theoretical, technical and operational reliability.
Students are required to have basic knowledge of a technical mechanics, physics, higher mathematics, machine parts and their mechanism, physics of the materials and principles of the electrotechnical engineering.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
VANĚK, Antonín. Moderní strojní technika a technologie zemních prací. Praha: Academia, 2003. Česká matice technická (Academia). ISBN 8020010459. (CS)
Nichols, H. L. - Day D. A.: Moving The Earth: The Workbook of Excavation, Sixth Edition, McGraw-Hill Professional; 6 edition 2010, ISBN 978-0071502672
Nichols, H. L. - Day D. A.: Moving The Earth: The Workbook of Excavation, Sixth Edition, McGraw-Hill Professional; 6 edition 2010, ISBN 978-0071502672 (EN)
Vaněk, A.: Moderní strojní technika a technologie zemních prací, vyd. Acamedia, Praha, ISBN 80-200-1045-9, 2003
MAZURKIEVIČ, Izidor, Ladislav GULAN a Gregor IZRAEL. Mobilné pracovné stroje: teória a konštrukcia základných modulov. Bratislava: Slovenská technická univerzita v Bratislave, 2013. Edícia vysokoškolských učebníc. ISBN 978-80-227-3968-9. (SK)
MARŠÁL, Petr. Stavební stroje. Brno: Akademické nakladatelství CERM, 2004. ISBN isbn:80-214-2774-4. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on the practical topics presented in lectures. Part of the course can be excursions to the companies, which manufacture or operate the equipments from the thematic area of education.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
The verification of the knowledge acquired in the course: Written exam followed by an oral exam proofreading.
Language of instruction
The aim of this course is make students acquainted with the working technology of the earthmoving machines, types of the earthmoving machines according to assembly groups, and common structural dispose of the earthmoving machines. Students will learn about design of the working and driving assembly according to force requirements, and the latest technology of the control and driving of the earthmoving machines.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Course-unit credit is awarded on condition of having attended the exercises actively and worked out assigned projects. Presence in the exercises is obligatory.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme N-ADI-P Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 3 credits, compulsory-optional
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Technology of the earth work, classification of the earthmoving machines.
2. Main assembly groups of the machines.
3. Technical properties of a soil.
4. Methods of a soil disintegration and their energy demands.
5. Force effects between the soil and tool.
6. Engine devices of the earthmoving machines, determination of an engine power.
7. Hydrodynamic gear.
8. Hydrostatic gear.
9. Hydraulic system of the earthmoving machines.
10.Chassis of the earthmoving machines.
11. Transmission of the forces between the earthmoving machine chassis and soil.
12. Hydrostatic servo-mechanism of the earthmoving machines.
13. Brake system of the earthmoving machines, cooling system of the earthmoving machines.
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Technical assignment and development of the wheel loader.
2. Determination of the climatic variant marking of the multipurpose front loader for an area of the expected purpose.
3. Determination of the technical properties of a soil.
4. Calculation of the working machines resistances.
5. Evaluation of the cooperation between combustion engine and moment converter and calculation of the moving forces and machine speed.
6. Evaluation of an earthmoving machine engine power.
7. Design of the hydraulic generators for the working hydraulic circuits.
8. Calculation of the joint loading bearings of the wheel loader chassis.
9. Calculation of the steering moment and speed-torque characteristic of the wheel loader with the joint frame.
10. Calculation of the movement resistances of the tracked chassis of the excavator.
11. Design of a hydraulic generator for the servo-mechanism circuit.
12. Calculation of the loader brakes.
13. Calculation of the loss and heat formation in circuit of the working hydraulics and servo-mechanism, evaluation of the hydraulic circuit cooling of an earthmoving machine.