Plastics Processing Technology
FSI-HTZAcad. year: 2020/2021
Classification of plastics from the view of physical, mechanical, thermal and other properties, fundamental processing, injection moulding, influence of processing parameters of final properties of products made of plastics. Plastics processing techniques, designing plastic
processing, mould design, esp. injection moulding tools.
Extrusion and processes that follow it such as compression, forming and welding of plastics.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The subject "Plastics Technology" provides students with basic
information describing the structure of plastics and their properties
from the point of view of physics, rheology and processing. Also dealt with are
the essential processes and basic applications in various areas of life and industry.
Basic knowledge of chemistry and a grasp of plastics and production technology.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
ŠTĚPEK, Jan, aj.: Technologie zpracování a vlastnosti plastů. SNTL . 638 s. ISBN 04-602-89, 1989 (CS)
KOLOUCH,J.: Strojírenské výrobky z plastů vyráběné vstřikováním
MENGES,G. end P.MOHREN: How to Make Injection Molds, Hanser Gardner Publications,ISBN 1-56990-062-0,558p, 1993 (EN)
MICHAELI,Walter: Plastics Processing, Hanser Gardner Publications,ISBN 1-56990-144-9,211p,1995 (EN)
SOVA, Miloš a Josef KREBS. Termoplasty v praxi. 1. Praha: Verlag Dashöfer, 2001. ISBN 80-86229-15-7. (CS)
ZEMAN, Lubomír. Vstřikování plastů: teorie a praxe. Praha: Grada Publishing, 2018. ISBN 978-80-271-0614-1. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by practical laboratory work.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course-unit credit is awarded on the following conditions:
attendance at seminars, completing of a mould design of a specific part including
calculation of basic process parameters of the injection moulding.
Exam is oral and tests the knowledge of the three basic areas of the subject:
1) Principal properties of plastics for processing and operation.
2) Injection moulding, machines and moulds.
3) Other technologies of plastics processing.
It is classificated to the ECTS grading scale
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to familiarise students with basic technologies
of plastics processing, and to provide them with information about the
principles applied for construction of machines and tools necessary
for the production.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance in lectures is recommended.
Attendance in exercises is compulsory.
The attendance to the seminar is regularly checked and the participation in the lesson is recorded.
Absence may be in justified cases compensated for by the agreement
with the teacher via working out a special programme.
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Classification of plastics, their application and properties.
2. Physical, mechanical, thermal and rheological properties of plastics.
3. Processing of plastics - overview.
4. Injection moulding, injection pressure - course.
5. Injection moulding machines, plastification unit and clamping unit, machine control.
6. Moulds for injection moulding, their overview, set of mouldings.
7. Gating system.
8. Tempering and ejector system.
9. Compression moulding of thermosets.
11. Blow moulding of plastics.
12. Forming and working of plastics.
13. Plastics welding.
39 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Specification of plastic for selected part.
2. Part design.
3. Machine specification.
4. Set of mouldings determination.
5. Mould design in principle.
6. Design of gating.
7. Design of ejecting.
8. Design of mould tempering.
9. Optimization of process parameters.
10. Mould design with the use of standard parts.
11. Mould design with the use of standard parts.
12. Moulding shop excursion.
13. Course-unit credits.
eLearning: currently opened course