LAN Switching, Accessing the WAN (CCNA3+4)
FIT-I2CAcad. year: 2020/2021
Design of Scaling Networks, LAN redundancy using HSRP and VRRP. Link Aggregation using EtherChannel. STP and RSTP Protocols. Routing using OSPF. WAN technologies. Network security. ACL filtering and NAT translation. Network troubleshooting and monitoring. Network virtualization and automation.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
LAN design, link redundancy using HSRP and VRRP, link aggregation using EtherChannel. Implementing OSPF routing.
Students will understand common WAN technologies. They will understand WAN technologies PPP and VPN configuration. They get an overview of network security, traffic filtering and network monitoring. They will learn the fundamentals of network troubleshooting.
Design of LANs, link redundancy and aggregation. VLAN sítě. OSPF routing. This course prepares students to an industrial certification CCNA. This course prepares students to an industrial certification CCNA.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Lecture notes in English.
Přednáškové texty v angličtině.
Documents and examples available at NetAcad FIT and on portal Cisco Networking Academy.
Cisco Networking Academy: Scaling Networks v6 Companion Guide. Indianapolis: Cisco Press, 2018, ISBN 978-1-58713-434-0.
Cisco Networking Academy: Switching, Routing, and Wireless Essentials Course Booklet (CCNAv7) Indianapolis: Cisco Press, 2020.
Cisco Networking Academy: Connecting Networks v6 Companion Guide. Indianapolis: Cisco Press, 2018, ISBN 978-1-58713-432-6.
Cisco Networking Academy: Enterprise Networking, Security, and Automation Companion Guide (CCNAv7) Indianapolis: Cisco Press, 2020
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
- Reviewing tests (max. 39 points).
- Laboratory assignments (max. 26 points).
- Practical skills test no. 1 (max. 17 points).
- Practical skills test no. 2 (max. 18 points).
- To obtain Academy Certificate of Completion all tests including Final exam and Skill test must be passed with min. score 80%.
- Labs attendance.
- Getting at least 50% points of every activity.
Language of instruction
Students get skills about design and building LANs, link redundancy using HSRP and VRRP, link aggregation based on EtherChannel. Students will configure VLAN networks using managed switches and routers. They will configure OSPF routing for IPv4 and IPv6 networks.
The second part of the course deals with WAN technologies. Students will learn how to connect LAN networks, configure network address translation, filter network traffic using ACL and create VPN networks. The course also includes network security and network management. The contents of the course covers CCNA Enterprise Networking, Security, and Automation (ENSA) course version 7.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
- Home preparation and active laboratory work. Missed lab assignments are not compensated.
- Passing all module tests.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
- Introduction. Hierarchical model. VTP protocol.
- EtherChannel. LAN redundanc. FHRP.
- Configuration and deployment of STP, RSTP.
- Port security.
- OSPF Routing. Protocol OSPFv2 and v3.
- ACL filtering.
- NAT translation. Static and dynamic NAT.
- WAN Concepts. Virtual private networks.
- Network monitoring and troubleshooting.
- Hardening network devices. Backups and file management.
- Network Security. Quality of Service.
- Network virtualization. SDN network. Rest API.
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
- Protokol VTP. L3 switching.
- Port aggregation using EtherChannel.
- LAN redundancy using HSRP.
- STP protocol.
- Port security.
- OSPF routing.
- ACL filtering. Standard and extended ACL lists.
- Static and dynamic NAT.
- VPN networks using GRE tunnelling.
- Network monitoring: CDP, NTP, syslog, SNMP.
- Securing device: password, ssh, VTY ACL. TFTP.
- Tunnelling IPv6 over IPv4.
- Challenge lab.