FSI-ZM1Acad. year: 2020/2021
The course introduces the concepts and theoretical basis for the creation of CAD data, advanced modeling tools and methodology of work in 3D engineering parametric programs, creating parts and assemblies, adaptivity, parameterization, volume and surface modeling and drafting. Attention is paid to software design tools and their application to specific products. The course provides practical mastering of engineering tools realted with multi-disciplinary engineering tasks and problems, and integrates the knowledge acquired in basic studies in subjects focused on the design of machines and mechanisms.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Experience in creating 3D design data at engineering level.
- Ability to apply design methodology and modeling approaches to construction nodes, assemblies and entire products.
- Knowledge of creating parametric and algorithmically controlled CAD models.
- Knowledge of specialized engineering CAD modules.
Knowledge in area of design, CAD systems, statics, kinematics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
XU, Xun. Integrating Advanced Computer-Aided Design, Manufacturing, and Numerical Control: Principles and Implementations. IGI Global. 2009. Dostupné z: https://app.knovel.com/hotlink/toc/id:kpIACADMNJ/integrating-advanced/integrating-advanced (EN)
PEDDIE, Jon. Augmented Reality [online]. Springer International Publishing, 2017 [cit. 2019-08-08]. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-54502-8. ISBN 978-3-319-54501-1. Dostupné z: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-319-54502-8. (EN)
ŽÁRA, Jiří. Moderní počítačová grafika. Brno: Computer Press, 2004, 609 s. ISBN 80-251-0454-0. (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. The exercises are focused on software design tools.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Course-unit credit is awarded on the following conditions: active participation in the seminars, creation of given 3D model. Examination: course is finished by the test during 12th or 13th week.
In the test, student has to prove knowledge of basic terms in area of virtual prototyping, computer graphics and digital technologies in the design process.
- a total of up to 60 points can be earned,
- the resulting classification is determined by the ECTS scale.
Language of instruction
Graduates will be able to apply advanced approaches and principles of 3D parametric and surface modeling and specialized tools supporting the design process and solving engineering problems and tasks.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at lectures is recommended; attendance at practicals is obligatory and checked by the lecturer. Maximum of two excused absences without compensation are allowed. In case of longer absence, compensation of missed lessons depends on the instructions of course supervisor.
Classification of course in study plans
Type of course unit
16 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
Fields of lectures:
- Introduction to CAD, history, classification, concepts, PLM.
- Modeling approaches: solid, surface and polygonal modeling, modeling of physics of nature..
- Algorithmic modeling and generative design.
- Modeling of structures and periodic elements.
- CAD model customization, algorithmic modeling, CAD data generation for 3D printing.
- Presentation of solids and surfaces.
- Data formats - STEP, XB, SAT, VRML, STL, X3D, OBJ.
- Integration of digital models with the real world, virtual reality.
32 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
- CAD system setup - setup, import, export, data storage.
- Parametric modeling of basic elements, connection with Excel.
- Modeling of assemblies, welds and wiring harnesses.
- FEM in CAD programs.
- Frame constructions.
- Tools for modeling of sheet metal parts.
- Creation of plastic parts.
- Tools for solving kinematics.
- Tools for solving dynamics.
- Tools for creating drawings.
- Tools for visualization and animation.
- Introduction to the Grasshopper scripting plugin for Rhinoceros
- Parameterization of a part in Grasshopper - parametrization of non-planar burnout
- Parameterization of a part in Grasshopper - performative design
- Generative design in Grasshopper - Cover box - parameterization of surfaces
- Generative design in Grasshopper - Cover - generative surfaces
eLearning: currently opened course