Mechanical Design Project - Machine Elements
FSI-YS1Acad. year: 2020/2021
The course will provide a basic overview of machine parts and joints like mechanical springs, bearings, axles and shafts and bolted, riveted, and welded joints. Attention is paid especially to get understanding of their function and learn the methods used in their design process. The course integrates the knowledge acquired in theoretical courses of Mechanical Engineering Bachelor's degree programme, particularly in branches of materials science, mechanics and machine design.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Knowledge of the principles of operation, design and application of the basic machine elements and joints.
- Getting understanding of the machine elements failures principles and causes.
- Ability to apply gained knowledge to the design process of new machinery and equipment in creative way.
Students are assumed to have the knowledge of machine design, material science and mechanics of solids, which they have obtained in previous part of their study at FME.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
SHIGLEY, Joseph E., Charles R. MISCHKE a Richard G. BUDYNAS. Konstruování strojních součástí. 1. vyd. Editor Martin Hartl, Miloš Vlk. Brno: VUTIUM, 2010, 1159 s. ISBN 978-80-214-2629-0. (CS)
BUDYNAS, Richard G. a Keith J. NISBETT. Shigley's mechanical engineering design. 9th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2011. ISBN 978-0-07-352928-8. (EN)
NORTON, Robert L. Machine design: An integrated approach. 4th ed. Boston: Prentice Hall, 2010. ISBN 01-361-2370-8. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Teaching is suplemented by creative work in seminars.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Terms of the graded course-unit credit: regular participation at seminars, solving of projects and passing the written test of topics presented at lectures and seminars.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to provide an basic overview of machine parts and joints like mechanical springs, bearings, axles and shafts and bolted, riveted, and welded joints. Attention is paid especially to get understanding of their function and learn the methods used in their design process.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Recommended attendance at lectures, compulsory attendance at seminars (2 absences maximum per semester). Education runs according to the week schedule. The way of compensation of missed seminars is specified by the tutor.
Type of course unit
13 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
- Failures resulting from static loading.
- Fatigue failure resulting from variable loading.
- Shafts and axles. Joint for torque transmission.
- Power screws and threaded fasteners.
- Bolted joints with preload.
- Gasketed joints. Bolted joints assembly. Riveted joints.
- Welded, soldered and bonded joints.
- Helical compression, extension and torsion springs. Double eye and Belleville springs.
- Roller bearings.
- Tapered roller bearings.
- Bearing lubrication and design of housing.
- Journal bearings.
- Summary of subject matter.
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
Elaboration of three smaller projects (case studies) that bind to the lecture topic.