Computer Graphics II
FSI-YPIAcad. year: 2020/2021
The subject is focused on work with programs for creating and editing vector graphics and prints. With attention to basic and advanced tools for creating applications 2D vector graphics (drawing curves, transoformations, work with text, layers, masks). The subject will lead to the creation of 2D graphics, multi-page documents, illustrations and prints.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
- Basic knowledge to create vector illustrations and desktop publishing.
- The ability to create quality graphical outputs of their projects.
- The ability to create presentations.
- The ability of technical reports and posters.
Students are expected to have elementary knowledge of work with PC, Windows and the ability of creative thinking.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Příručka uživatele aplikace Illustrator. Příručka uživatele aplikace Illustrator [online]. Adobe Systems Software Ireland, 2017. Dostupné z: https://helpx.adobe.com/cz/illustrator/user-guide.html
Adobe Creative Team: Adobe Illustrator CS5, ISBN: 9788025132234
Příručka uživatele aplikace InDesign. Příručka uživatele aplikace InDesign [online]. Adobe Systems Software Ireland, 2017. Dostupné z: https://helpx.adobe.com/cz/indesign/user-guide.html
Pírková, K., Kadavý, D.: CorelDRAW X4, ISBN: 978-80-251-2490-1
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught in the form of seminars in computer labs, which are focused on practical application of the learnt knowledge.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Graded course-unit credit requirements: attendance in lessons, meeting assigned projects deadlines, practical test verifying the knowledge of work with the software and creative work ability. Resulting evaluation consists of evaluations on projects, tasks and a test. In total it will be possible to aquire 100 points. Resulting classification will be defined by the ECTS scale. If some of the projects and test are awarded less than half of the maximum pts., final evaluation of the course is "failed". According to the article No. 13 of Study and Examination Rules of Brno University of Technology ECTS evaluation degree scale is used. . If some of the projects are awarded less than 50 pts., final evaluation of the course is "failed". The course is evaluated with the following grades: ECTS EVALUATION DEGREES / PTS. RATING / NUMERIC RATING: A / 100 - 90 / 1 / Excellent; B /89 - 80 / 1,5 / Very good; C / 79 - 70 / 2 / Good; D / 69 - 60 / Satisfactory; E / 59 - 50 / Sufficient; F / 49 - 0 / 4 / Failed.
Language of instruction
The graduates will be able to work programs for creating vector illustrations and desktop publishing. Work in these programs will lead to the creation of 2D graphics design for the printed, electronic and multimedia graphics.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Compulsory attendance at seminars. Education runs according to the week schedule. The way of compensation of missed seminars is specified by the tutor.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme B-PDS-P Bachelor's, 2. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
39 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
- Adobe Illustrator - familiarity with the environment of Adobe Illustrator, philosophy of work, creating a new project, the layout of the main tools, files
- Adobe Illustrator - creating objects from basic geometric shapes, creating. and editing objects with curves, object properties - strength, fillings, gradient, transparency.
- Adobe Illustrator - layers, transformation and aligning objects, Pathfinder, working with raster graphics objects.
- Adobe Illustrator - working with text, multipage documents, document preparation for print, export.
- Adobe Illustrator - sample project: designer portfolio.
- Adobe Illustrator - vector bucket tool, vectorization of raster images, effects.
- Adobe Illustrator - definnition of custom color swatches, brushes, symbols, spray, clipping mask, opacity mask.
- Adobe Illustrator - advanced transformation tools, transformation using envelopes, using transformation network perspective, smooth transitions between objects.
- Adobe Illustrator - export, prepress, concepts of "bleed", "Overlay" "spot colors", "transparency flattering", "Font Embedding", "color profile", using Adobe Acrobat.
- Adobe InDesign - familiarity with the environment in Adobe InDesign, philosophy of work, creating a new project, the layout of the main tools, files, multipage document preparation.
- Adobe InDesign - a tools for creating graphical objects, properties, transformation, text paragraphs, work with embedded graphic objects, cropping.
- Adobe InDesign - master pages, character and paragraph styles, text rate, flow, GREP.
- Adobe InDesign - creating lists, automatic text, anchors, document preparation for print, export, print brochures.
eLearning: currently opened course