Thermal Management of Vehicles
FSI-QTEAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course Thermal Management of Vehicles acquaints students with the theoretical basis of heat transfer, which are then applied to the issue of automotive powertrain cooling and to the systems of thermal comfort of vehicle cabins.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The course will provide students with the knowledge of heat transfer and apply it to problems of cooling of the combustion engine and the treatment of the indoor climate in the cabs of vehicles.
Thermodynamics, basic computer skills.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
VAN BASSHUYSEN, Richard a Fred SCHÄFER. Internal combustion engine handbook: basics, components, systems, and perspectives. Warrendale, Pa.: SAE International, c2004, xxxix, 811 p., ISBN 07-680-1139-6. (EN)
DALY, Steven. Automotive air-conditioning and climate control systems. 1st ed. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann, 2006, 362 s. ISBN 0-7506-6955-1. (EN)
NILSSON, H. O. Comfort Climate Evaluation with Thermal Manikin Methods and Computer Simulation Models. University of Gävle, 2004, 202 s., ISBN 91-7283-693-8. (EN)
INCROPERA, F. P., DEWITT, D. P., BERGMAN T. L., LAVINE, A. S. Principles of heat and mass transfer. John Wiley & Sons Inc, 2017, 1000 s., ISBN: 9781119382911. (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures that provide the explanation of the basic theoretical knowledge of heat transfer, powertrain cooling and devices to adjust the indoor climate in the cabins of automobiles. Teaching is complemented by laboratory assignments and computational exercises.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Attendance at seminars and laboratory measurements. Overall evaluation of the course will be based on written exam, focusing on the application of lessons learned.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to familiarize students with current trends in the automotive heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems and powertrain cooling including thermal managment of electric vehicles, accumulators and other infrastructures necesarry for charging and fast charging.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Attendance at seminars is compulsory. Absence at seminars and replacing them is solved individually with a teacher.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Thermal management of cars - Introduction.
2. Heat transfer - Conduction.
3. Heat transfer - Unsteady conduction.
4. Heat transfer - Fins.
5. Heat exchangers - design methods.
6. Heat exchangers construction.
7. Heat resources and thermal management in the engine compartment.
8. Thermal managment of EV vehicles and charging infrsatructure.
9. Cabin, thermal comfort and services provided by HVAC systems.
10. The rating of thermal comfort in the cabins of automobiles.
11. Challenges in the field of automotive HVAC - classic cars, EV cars.
12. Cooling cycles - principles of operation
13. Cooling cycles - design of automotive air conditioning
13 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. - 2. Thermal balance of Combustion engine.
3. - 4. Determination of the heat transfer coefficient.
5. - 6. Experiment - IR camera in thermal management.
7. - 8. Experiment - cabin heat up, evaluation of thermal comfort.
9. - 10. Experiment - defrost of windshield.
11. - 13. Experiment - efficiency of refrigeration unit.
eLearning: currently opened course