Czech Culture, Language and Industry
FSI-GCKAcad. year: 2020/2021
The seminar is intended to introduce foreign students to the environment of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering as a part of the Brno University of Technology, to the town of Brno and to the cultural envirnment of the Czech Republic.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The seminar enables the students to become aware of the Czech society and its culture. Great emphasis is placed also on introduction of the Czech engineering companies through excursions.
Communication skills corresponding to the language level A2 and basic knowledge of technical terminology.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Svobodová, J. a kol.: Brno časem a prostorem, ISBN 978-80-85763-44-7
Historie České republiky [online], dostupné z: http://cr.ic.cz/
WWW stránky města Brna [online], dostupné z: http://www2.brno.cz/index.php?lan=de
Tučka, J.: Brno Historické zajimavosti města, ISBN 978-80-85763-43-0
WWW stránky Turistického informačního centra města Brna [online], dostupné z: http://www.ticbrno.cz/index.php
Tučka, O. a kol.: Brno – město uprostřed Evropy, ISBN 80-85763-26-5
Harna, J.; Fišer, R.: Dějiny českých zemí, 1995, ISBN - 80 - 7168 - 285 - 3
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through exercises which are focused on practical topics presented in lectures. According to the possibility of teaching can be organized lectures for students by practitioners and excursions related to the course content.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Credit is awarded on the basis of attendance in seminars and term project evaluation.
Language of instruction
The objective of the seminar is to deepen the students´ language skills and intercultural knowledge necessary for specialized communication with application of relevant word stock and intercultural competences.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Seminars are compulsory, attendance is monitored. Absence can be compensated on agreement with the teacher.
Type of course unit
52 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Introduction of the FME and BUT
2. Brief overview of the history of the Czech Republic
3. Brief overview of the history of Brno and introduction of its industry
4. A tour of the town of Brno and its historical monuments
5. A visit to the Brno City Museum
6. A visit to the Moravian Museum
7. A visit to the Technical Museum in Brno
8. A visit to the Moravian Karst
9. A visit to an industrial company I
10. A visit to an industrial company II
11. A visit to an industrial company III
12. A visit to an industrial company IV
13. Semestral work handover and award of credits