FSI-FHYAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course familiarises students with basic facts relating to working principles of hydraulic machines and equipment used in all industrial fields. It deals with pumps, hydraulic motors, water turbines and fluid mechanisms (hydraulic and pneumatic elements, hydraulic transmissions and couplings).
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Students will be able to propose a design of hydraulic machines.
Basic knowledge of hydromechanics, especially of parts with respect to impeller pumps and reaction turbines.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
BLÁHA,J.,BRADA,K.: Hydraulické stroje, , 0 (CS)
ŠOB,F.: Hydraulické stroje, , 0
PIVOŇKA,J. a kol.: Tekutinové mechanismy, , 0 (CS)
ŠOB,F.: Hydromechanika, , 0
NECHLEBA,M.: Vodní turbíny , , 0 (CS)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures explaining the basic principles and theory of the discipline. Exercises are focused on practical topics presented in lectures.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Solution of tasks within the practicals. The exam testing the knowledge of the subject-matter.
Language of instruction
The aim of the course is to make students familiar with different types of hydraulic machines and equipment used in industry, in pumping stations, sewage treatment plants, in steam, nuclear and water power stations and which are used as elements in building machines, machine tools, as well as in robotics.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Participation in practicals is compulsory. Absence may be compensated for via special tasks set by the teacher.
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Classification of pumps, basic ideas.
2. Displacement pumps - hydrostatic (piston, gear and sliding-vane pumps).
3. Pumps based on other principles (water ejectors and injectors, hydraulic ram,
air-lift pumps, screw pumps).
4. Hydrodynamic pumps.
5. Characteristic features of pumps.
6. Organization and regulation of pumps.
7. Importance, function and disposal of hydropower plants.
8. Governing equations and parameters of water turbines and storage pumps.
9. Water turbine and its characteristics.
10. Basic principles of water turbine.
11. Introduction to the problems of fluid power mechanisms.
12. Overview of the hydraulic and pneumatic motors and compressors.
13. Displacements and vaned conversions.
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
1. Designing of hydrostatic pumps (piston, gear and sliding-vane pumps).
2. Pumps based on other principles (air-lift pumps, gear and sliding-vane pumps).
3. Designing of hydrodynamic pumps.
4. Designing of a compressor (one-stage, two and four stages).
5. Designing of a Francis turbine.
6. Designing of a Pelton turbine.
7. Designing of a storage pump.
8. Equipment for operating of regulating apparatus of Francis turbine proposal.