Recording Studio Technology - Practice
FEKT-BPC-STTAcad. year: 2020/2021
The course consists of laboratory exercises aimed at solving the complex connection and synchronization of the recording studio components, especially the connection and routing of analog and digital audio signals, their synchronization, the integration of hardware devices with the recording software and the configuration of the components of the recording chain. In laboratory exercises, Wavelab, Cubase, ProTools and StudioOne software are used.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
After course completion, students are to:
- create an analogue and digital interconnection of components of recording studio,
- setup synchronization of different types of devices in the audio recording chain,
- setup mutual synchronization of sound, video and music electronics,
- configure digital audio interfaces and audio recording software,
- setup remote control of the hardware and software components of the audio recording chain
The knowledge of sound signals in the electrical system, the structure of the mixing console, the point-to-point and the network digital audio interfaces, the digital audio signal recording and non-destructive editing, sound card types and structures, computer audio systems, plug-in technology, MIDI communication interface and MIDI bus interconnection, and time synchronization codes used in audio, video and music electronics.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
SCHIMMEL, J. Studiová a hudební elektronika. Studiová a hudební elektronika. Brno, Vysoké učení technické v Brně. 2012. (158 p.). ISBN 978-80-214-4452-2. (CS)
FORRÓ, D. MIDI - Komunikace v hudbě. B.v. Praha: Grada, 1993. 267 s. ISBN 8085623560. (CS)
WATKINSON, J.: The Art of Digital Audio, 3rd ed. Focal Press, 2001. ISBN 0-240-51587-0 (EN)
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in article 7 of the BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
- Laboratory exercises support practical mastering of themes. Active participation of students is required.
Course is taking advantage of e-learning (Moodle) system.
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Evaluation of study results follows the Rules for Studies and Examinations of BUT and the Dean's Regulation complementing the Rules for Studies and Examinations of BUT. It is obligatory to work through all laboratory exercises in regular or alternative terms to complete the course.
Language of instruction
1. Connecting the recording and control rooms using analog patchbays.
2. Synchronization of audio and video.
3. Controlling parameters of recording software using MIDI protocol.
4. Synchronization of digital audio devices using external and self-clocking codes.
5. Configuration of the integrated mixing console of an audio interface.
6. Integration of external audio devices into the recording software.
7. Routing of audio channels in the digital audio network interface.
The aim of the course is to practice the knowledge gained in the subject Studio technology on the typical problems of the complex interconnection of the components of the recording studio.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
It is obligatory to work through all laboratory exercises in regular or alternative terms to complete the course. Other forms of checked instruction are specified by a regulation issued by the guarantor of the course and updated for every academic year.