Dynamics of structures
FAST-DDB035Acad. year: 2020/2021
Oscillation of the dynamic system, FEM application, modal analysis, solution of the generalized problem of the eigenvalues, subspace iteration and the Lancz method, response on the general dynamic excitation, procedures of integration of the motion equations, response to the harmonic excitation, response to the seismic excitation, design and evaluation of structures loaded with machines, wind and seismicity, non-linear dynamics.
Institute of Structural Mechanics (STM)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Theory bases corresponding to the knowledge of an engineer. Work with the technical literature in the Czech as well as of foreign languages.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction. Oscillation of dynamic system with one degree of freedom.
2. Dynamic continuous systems. Traditional solution of the bar and plate rotation.
3. Dynamic systems with various degrees of freedom. Derivation of the mass matrix of the structure.
4. Solving dynamic problems with the use of the Finite Element Method. Types of analyses.
5. Modal analysis. Generalized problem of the eigenvalues. Introduction to the theory of solution.
6. Detail transformation, spectrum separation, QR, QL matrix decomposition, ortogonalization, etc.
7. Subspace iteration, Lancz method. Implementation to programs.
8. Solution of problems in the time period. Method of decomposition according to the proper oscillation shape. Integration of the motion equations. Implicit and explicit procedures of integration.
9. Special types of response. Response to the harmonic excitation, response to the seismic excitation. Linear spectrum of response. Use of the response spectra for the calculation.
10. Generation of the response spectra.
11. Design and evaluation of structures under the effect of the circulating machines.
12. Design and evaluation of structures under the effect of the wind.
13. Introduction to the non-linear dynamics of structures.
Study of modern methods of the dynamic response of the bar, planar and massive structures (concentrating on the problems related to the thesis topics). Advanced knowledge of the structure oscillation theory, the appropriate terminology, design and evaluation of structures under the effect of circulating machines, wind and seismicity.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme DKC-K Doctoral, 2. year of study, winter semester, 8 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DPA-K Doctoral, 2. year of study, winter semester, 8 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DKA-K Doctoral, 2. year of study, winter semester, 8 credits, compulsory-optional
- Programme DPC-K Doctoral, 2. year of study, winter semester, 8 credits, compulsory-optional
Type of course unit
39 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer