Selected Chapters from Building Physics (R)
FAST-NHB057Acad. year: 2020/2021
Energy conscious concept requires the design of building constructions with respect of their thermal properties, evaluation of indoor thermal comfort and energy efficiency of buildings. Windows and transparent parts of buildings are designed on the basis of hygro-thermal, acoustic and daylighting assessments to satisfy the low-energy concept of the whole building. Introduction to solving basic equation of stress analysis and introduction to basics of fracture mechanics with respect to structural materials: plain/reinforced concrete, high strength/performance concrete, ceramics, metals.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will be able to design construction to rise of the Fundamentals in thermal evaluation of buildings. Design of building constructions with respect of thermal insulation requirements. Evaluation of thermal comfort and energy efficiency of buildings. Introduction to solving basic equation of stress analysis and introduction to basics of fracture mechanics with respect to typical structural materials.
Basic knowledge of mathematics, knowledge of the fundamental physical constants and thermal properties of building materials, the emergence of sound, basic concepts of wave, the physical parameters of sound, the sound field variables, basic photometry.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Thermal comfort in buildings, heat transfer, thermal properties of building materials.
2. Steady state thermal evaluations. Heat transfer through building constructions. Calculation of the overall heat transfer coefficient. Thermal bridges in building constructions. Temperature distribution in building constructions – temperature profiles. 3. Determination of the condensation region within building constructions. Annual balance of evaporated and condensed vapour within building constructions.
4. Non-steady state thermal conditions, temperature damping of building constructions. Thermal receptivity of floor finishings. Thermal stability of the reference room.
5. Energy saving requirements for buildings. Evaluation of energy efficiency of buildings.
6. Basic terminology and quantities of building acoustics, sound propagation, sonic field. Air-borne and structure-borne sound reduction.
7. Daylighting, sky luminance, daylight factor assessment of a room.
8. Plane stress analysis.
9. Application of Airy stress function to solving of basic equations of linear stress analysis, approximate methods.
10. Fracture mechanics – introduction, linear elastic fracture mechanics.
11. Non-linear fracture mechanics. Approximate methods of non-linear fracture.
12. Fracture parameters – methods od determination. Brittleness, size effect.
13. Using of finite element methods in solution of fracture mechanics problems; application to structural materials: plain/reinforced concrete, high strength/performance concrete, ceramics, metals.
Construction must be design for so that not happen to rise of the Fundamentals in thermal evaluation of buildings. Design of building constructions with respect of thermal insulation requirements. Evaluation of thermal comfort and energy efficiency of buildings. Summary of basic requirements for buildings and their constructions from thermal, acoustic and visual comfort point of view. Introduction to solving basic equation of stress analysis and introduction to basics of fracture mechanics with respect to typical structural materials.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-SIR Master's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory-optional