Sediments in Rivers
FAST-NRB015Acad. year: 2020/2021
Course contents: Basic division and concepts including global characteristics. Properties of water, sediments, deposits and suspensions. The characteristics of flow without and with transport of sediments. Erosion, transport and deposition of sediments including the characteristics of the movement, equations of continuity and dischrge of sediments. Measurement in rivers and reservoirs. Influence of sediment dischrge and sediment transport. Modelling the sediment transport and the evolution of river channels. Sediments and depostits in reservoirs. Case studies.
Institute of Water Structures (VST-VST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge in following areas:
- informacion of Bankerosion of reservoir,
- specification of factors causing generation,
- propagation of scouring,
- detailed analysis and process of determination of these factors.
Hydraulics, hydrology, soil mechanics, dams, reservoirs, river training and weirs.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Basic division and concepts, global characteristics.
2. Properties of water, sediments, depostis and suspensions.
3. Characteristics of flow.
4. Erosion of deposits.
5. Deposition of sediments.
6. Transport of sediments – characteristics of motion.
7. Transport of sediments – continuity equation.
8. Transport of sediments – sediment discharge.
9. Measurements in rivers and reservoirs.
10. Influence of sediment dischrge and transport of sediments.
11. Modeling of sediment transport and river bed evolution.
12. Sediments and deposits in reservoirs.
13. Case studies.
Informacion of Bankerosion of reservoir.
Riparian zone reconstruction to minimize uncontrolled scouring propagation.Specification of factors causing generation and propagation of scouring, detailed analysis and process of determination of these factors.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-SIV Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional