Durability of Building Materials
FAST-NJA035Acad. year: 2020/2021
Introduction to problems of corroded constructions especially with respect to reasons of flaws and failures; kinds of corrosive environment, selection of suitable building materials.
The courses are concentrated especially to clear the microstructure and mechanical changes during degradation, corrosion of reinforced concrete caused by corrosive environment and classification of materials according to durability. Corrosion of metals, degradation of concrete and building materials by liquid and gaseous media, different types of water corroding reinforced concrete structures are discussed in details and the influence of solid matters, mineral fats and oils etc. are discussed as well. This is followed by discussion of surface treatment improving the building structures resistance against aggressive effects and of impregnating concrete by plastic materials respectively, spraying of concrete by macromolecular substances, painting compositions based on water glass etc. Finally the possibility of building materials durability prognosis and the methods of building materials durability determination and possibilities of their protection are discussed.
Lectures are supplemented by laboratory exercises.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student would manage the goal of the subject by acquiring knowledge on problems of corroded construction and mainly with regard to the cause of breakdown, kind of corrosive surrounding, choice of suitable construction materials, acquaintance with the methodology for forecasting the endurance of construction material and detecting endurance of construction substances with the possibility of protection.
Knowledge of possibility of plastics added into cement mortars and concrete,Theoretical and Technological Fundamentals of Inorganic Building Binders,the chemistry and technology of plaster, lime and cement manufacture. Basic knowledge necessary for the task to design composition of concrete with demanded final properties, the basic properties of input raw materials for concrete manufacture and the testing methods.General overview of ceramic raw materials properties, their processing, shaping methods in ceramics, drying, burning, properties of burnt body.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Familiarization with problems of corroded buildings, durability, degradation.
2. Reasons of failures and defects of separate building materials.
3. Types of corrosive (aggressive) medium. Selection of adequate building materials, kinds of waters corroding the reinforced concrete structures.
4. Kinds of gaseous media, effect of solid material, mineral greases and oils etc. Mechanism of volume changes.
5. Explanation of chemical micro-structural and mechanical changes during degradation and corrosion.
6. Reinforced concrete degradation initiated by the effect of aggressive media.
7. Degradation of building materials initiated by the effect of aggressive media.
8. Corrosion of metals.
9. Galvanic corrosion and the measuring methods.
10. Primary protection of building materials, influence of composition and of production technology.
11. Secondary protection of concrete. Surface treatments improving the resistance of building structures against aggressive media – classification.
12. Surface treatments – properties, testing methods, failures and defects, prognosis of surface treatment service life.
13. Methods of building materials durability determination including the possibilities of protection. Prognosticating possibility of building materials durability.
Introduction to problems of corroded constructions especially with respect to failure reasons, kinds of corrosive surroundings, selection of suitable building materials. Acguaint of building materials durability prognosis and the methods of building materials durability determination and possibilities of their protection.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-SIM Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory
Type of course unit
26 hours, optionally
Teacher / Lecturer
26 hours, compulsory
Teacher / Lecturer
eLearning: currently opened course