Masonry Structures (S)
FAST-BLA004Acad. year: 2020/2021
History, types and trends of development of masonry structures and their design. Materials for masonry structures. Strength and deformation of masonry. Analyses of buckling and eccentricity effects.
Single-layer non-reinforced walls and piers. Ultimate limit states. Analyses of the basic loads masonry structures. Serviceability limit states.
Structural systems of masonry constructions. Masonry arches. Design of horizontal structures from shaped masonry bricks. Reinforced and prestressed masonry. Simlified design methods. Fire resistance assesment.
Reconstructions and strengthening of masonry structures.
Institute of Concrete and Masonry Structures (BZK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
A student gains these knowledge and skills:
• Virtue for designing masonry structures, setting up their mathematical models, elaborating static calculation and technical drawings according to the valid recommendation and standards.
• The ability to control the correct technological methods at masony structures constructing.
structural mechanics, theory of elasticity, design of concrete members
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Development of masonry structures and their design. Materials for masonry structures. Structural arrangement.
2. Strength and deformation properties of masonry. Buckling influence.
3. Load-bearing capacity of masonry elements axially or unaxially compressed.
4. Load-bearing capacity of masonry elements stressed by flexure, shear, tension or concentrated pressure.
5. Serviceabiity and detailing.
6. General principles for the design of masonry structures. Statical analysis of hall masonry structures.
7. Statical analysis of multi-storey masonry buildings with flexible and rigid horizontal structures.
8. Reinforced and prestressed masonry structures.
9. Horizontal structures of hollow clay blocks. Design of masonry arches.
10. Simlified design methods and fire resistance assesment.
11. Reconstructions and strengthening of masonry structures.
To learn to design the masonry structures, to set up their mathematical models, to elaborate static calculation and technical drawings according to the valid recommendation and standards.
To control the correct technology at constructing the masonry structures.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans