Foundation Engineering (S)
FAST-BFA003Acad. year: 2020/2021
Introduction - backgrounds. Methodology of limit states, geotechnical categories. Shallow footings - spread footings, strip footings, slabs. Design and check of shallow footings - 1st limit state, 2nd limit state.
Deep foundations - division of elements. Piles - distribution (displacement, replacement). Drilled piles, CFA - technology of building. Design of axial loaded bored piles - limit bearing capacity, limit loading curve. Uncased piles - building technology. Vibropiles. Micropiles - types, building technology, utilization. Diaphragm walls and lamellas - building technology and utilization. Anchors - distribution, design and construction methods, anchor prestressing.
Jet grouting - technology, recovery. Classical injection - sealing, hardening, compensation, injection materials.
Foundation pits and their timbering. Rider sheeting, pile walls, diaphragm walls. Cofferdams. Static design of foundation pit timbering. Foundation pit dewatering.
Institute of Geotechnics (GTN)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will master the course objection and design shallow and deep foundations for different geotechnical cathegories and will have basic knowledge about safe and economical design of foundation pit.
Types of foundation soils, properties of soils, limit states theory, basic principles of structural mechanics, theory of strength and elasticity, structure design.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction. Limit states principles, geotechnical categories. Shallow footings – pads, strip footings, foundation slabs.
2. Design and check of shallow footings – 1st and 2nd limit states.
3. Improvement of soil properties for shallow foundations. Gravelly pillows.
4. Deep foundations – basic elements. Caissons. Open caissons.
5. Distribution of piles(displacement, replacement). Bored piles. CFA piles. Technology of building.
6. Design of axial loaded bored piles. – limit bearing capacity, limit loading curve.
7. Uncased piles – building technology. Vibropiles.
8. Micropiles – types, construction method, utilization.
9. Diaphragm walls and lamellas – construction method and utilization.
10. Anchors-distribution, design and technology.
11. Jet grouting – technology, jet grouting use.
12. Foundation pits and their timbering. Braces sheeting, pile walls, diaphragm walls.
13. Static design of foundation pit timbering. Foundation underpinning.
To teach students how to design shallow and deep foundations for different geotechnical categories.
To provide students with basic knowledge about safe and economical design of foundation pit.
To acquaint students with modern foundation methods and subsoil improvement methods.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans