Building Constructions 3 (S)
FAST-BHA006Acad. year: 2020/2021
The course continues with deepening of fundamental knowledge in the field of building design. It focuses on roofs, describes various types of roofs, applicable materials, principles of design, etc. The course also introduces building envelopew, their types and variants with regard to elimination of heat losses.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will be able to make a proposal solution of contructions of roofing, external walls, windows, doors and gateways in external walls, windows in roofs of building
The students deepen their knowledge of building design. It is assumed that students already have fundamental knowledge of building design on the level of Building Constructions 1, 2.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Roofs: General classification of roofs, main structural components, drainage. Materials appliable in individual layers of roofs. Classification of warm flat roofs.
2. Warm flat roofs: Design principles, drainage specifics, material variants, roofing layers.
3. Cold flat roofs: Design principles, drainage specifics, material variants, roofing layers, design of ventilation. Truss girders.
4. Purlin roof trusses: Classification, carpentry joints, design of valleys and gables. Design of monopitch roofs.
5. Modern roof trusses. Composition of roofing above attic spaces.
6. Most common roofing materials: design and application.
7. Tinsmith works and products. Assembly details of flat and pitched roofs.
8. Assembly details of warm and cold flat roofs, pitched roofs, and roof claddings.
9. Assembly details of warm and cold flat roofs, pitched roofs, and roof claddings.
10. Building envelope: Terminology, functions, design principles and boundary conditions.
11. Envelope walls: Design principles of single-leaf sandwich walls with external (or internal) positioning of thermal insulation. Materials and construction processes applied in external thermal insulating composite systems (gluing, anchoring and rendering).
12. Envelope walls: Design principles and materials of single-leaf walls.
13. Lightweight metal-plastic curtain walls: Classification, application, materials and anchoring.
To obtain fundamental knowledge in the field of contructions of roofing, external walls, windows, doors and gateways in external walls, windows in roofs of building, to aquire theoretical and functional relationship, to gain experience and ability for design.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans