FAST-BJA004Acad. year: 2020/2021
The goal of the subject is to win knowledge about general and theoretical base of ceramic production, principles of ceramic technological procedures with a special respect to the field of building ceramics. In the frame of this subject the basic theoretical knowledge concerning raw materials, exploitation and processing by technological procedures, which are the basis of ceramic production are presented. The presentation begins with the preparation of raw materials, over individual phases of production till the readymade product. In the framework of this subject the basic theoretical knowledge about the solid phase is presented and the information about the raw and burnt ceramic body from the point of view of its formation and its stability under different thermal conditions. The principles of evaluation of ceramic raw materials and products including the utility properties are discussed. Orientation in the field of production and concerning the use of ceramic products.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student would manage the goal of the subject by acquiring theoretical base of ceramic body creation – general overview of the ceramic base material properties, its finishing, production methods in ceramics, drying, firing, properties of the fired body.
Students who are registered on the this course should have a basic knowledge of the theoretical foundations of the structure of silicates. Otherwise not required any special knowledge.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction, silicates and ceramics, definition, characteristic of the ceramic body, classification.
2. Microstructure and structure of ceramic materials.
3. Ceramic raw materials – classification, mineralogical composition.
4. Methods of research and determination in ceramics. Methods of crystalline structure research (DTA, DKTA, X-rays, distribution of pores).
5. Plastic raw materials.
6. Opening materials, fluxing agents, lightening admixtures. Raw materials for engobes.
7. Processing and treatment of ceramic raw materials.
8. Shaping by pressing.
9. Shaping by extruding.
10. Shaping by casting.
11. Dynamics of drying.
12. Statics and technology of drying.
13. Theoretical formation principles of burnt ceramic body microstructure – solid state reactions, sintering.Reactions during burning of ceramics. Behaviour of minerals during burning and the formation of new phases.
Theoretical fundamentals of ceramic body formation – general overview of ceramic raw materials properties, their processing, shaping methods in ceramics, drying, burning, properties of burnt body.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.