Building Constructions 2 (M)
FAST-BHA018Acad. year: 2020/2021
It handles about a follow-up course to BH001 Building constructions 1 and its aim is to deepen the knowledge of students in the field of building design. It’s mainly focused on the design of horizontal load-bearing structures, foundations, chimneys and ventilation shafts, roofs, etc. While at the exact same time it’s expected to teach students about substructure, damp proof course, expansion joints and about protection against radon gas activity, floorings, and windows, among others.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Test examination on building constructions and debate.
It is assumed that the student has at the beginning of the subject knowledge of the subject BH001 Building Construction 1. At the same time the knowledge of the fundamentals of constructive geometry, structural mechanics, statics of building structures, elasticity and plasticity, soil mechanics, the design of foundations and design of concrete, metal and wooden constructions.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Horizontal load-bearing structures – functional and mechanical requirements. Connections of horizontal and vertical load-bearing structures. Classification of horizontal load-bearing structures. Spandrel beams.
2. Overhanging and recessed structures – balcony, loggia, portico, oriel windows and cornices – material solutions, mechanical requirements, thermal design.
3. Groundworks and excavations. Founding soil. Construction and hydrogeological survey.
4. Shallow and deep foundation – Foundation types, material, and structural solutions. Foundation construction on property boundaries.
5. Substructure. Damp proofing – design of damp proof systems. Protection against radon gas infiltration.
6. Expansion joints, settlement joints and construction joints in load bearing and non-loadbearing structures.
7. Roofs – classification of roofs. Pitched roofs / Traditional truss solutions – classification, structural solutions. Contemporary solutions. Roof compositions above attic spaces.
8. Roofs – Warm flat roofs – design principles, dewatering solutions, compositions of warm flat roof variants, and materials.
9. Roofs – Cold flat roofs – design principles, dewatering solutions, materials, roofing, ventilation of the air cavity.
10. Chimneys and ventilation shafts – design principles, structural requirements, types, and solutions.
11. Windows, doors, gates. Variants and material solutions, technological and installation procedure.
12. Floor – functional requirements, the function of layers, materials, thermal expansion.
13. Soffit / Lower ceiling – functional requirements, structural and design principles, types of lower ceilings. Finishes – plaster, paints, coats, frescos, tiles.
The course is focused on the study concept of the project documentation completed on the basis of fundamental knowledge about building constructions. The design of the convenient load-bearing structural concept of a middle-sized building is the main task. The building is determined by the architectural disposition study and assignment of outdoor conditions of the building site. The study of the project in the stage of the documentation for the building planning permission is the compulsory work for the course examination.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.