FAST-BJA018Acad. year: 2020/2021
The course builds on the previous problems of building insulation and thus creates for the students the deepening of the knowledge in the studied subject. The course will be presented with special knowledge in the field of thermal insulating materials focusing on individual production technologies and final properties of insulators after their incorporation into the structure. In the course of the course, the topic of Super insulation materials and materials will be presented on a natural basis and on the basis of secondary raw materials. Separate chapters will be devoted to waterproofing materials, fire protection and building materials reaction to fire. Another area will be devoted to thermal insulation of building structures and external contact insulation systems of ETICS. At the end of the course, the issue of special insulators will be addressed in extreme conditions and radon and ionizing radiation insulation.
The following tutorials have laboratory and calculation character.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student would manage the goal of the subject by acquiring knowledge on technological processes when using the modern construction materials, when using the insulation materials in terms of heat-insulation, moisture and acoustic requirements on constructions.
Knowledge of building materials production technology, building physic (heat and moisture transfer), insulation materials, basic knowledge of mathematic and physic, basic knowledge of insulation of construction.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Special insulation and related legislative requirements (including thermal building protection).
2. Thermal insulation materials – distribution, properties.
3. Traditional Thermal Insulation Materials – EPS, XPS, PUR, Mineral Wool, Glass Wool
4. Super insulation materials – aerogels, vacuum insulating panels (VIP) – part 1.
5. Super Insulating Materials – aerogels, vacuum Insulation Panels (VIP) – Part 2.
6. Thermal insulating materials on a natural basis – distribution, production technology, properties.
7. Heat insulating materials based on secondary raw materials – distribution, production technologies, properties.
8. Waterproofing materials – division, requirements, production, properties.
9. Fire protection, reaction of building materials to fire.
10. Thermal insulation of building structures – ETICS systems – Part 2, special insulation.
11. Methods of location of building-physical defects. New trends in the use of insulation, so-called passive energy houses.
Specialty of technological processes in using up-to-date building materials, use of insulation materials from heat-insulation, moisture and acoustic demands of buildings. Risks of new materials use in buildingsSecuring of humidity state in buildings, utilization of natural materials in building. Testing of insulation materials.Evaluation of materials effect on environment, technology of alternative heat sources utilization, low-energy buildings.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.