Properties and Use of Building Materials in Structures
FAST-BJB022Acad. year: 2020/2021
Optional subject is a supporting subject for elaborating the bachelor’s tutorial work. The student selects following the theme of the tutorial work assignment one of the two basic subjects with technological or application orientation.
The subject acquaints the students with possibilities of building materials utilization in building structures and with demands on materials for these structures. Information about different materials (concrete, mortars, ceramics, plastics, wood, metals etc.), familiarization with its characteristic properties, advantages and disadvantages for practical use. Evaluation of building materials properties, their testing, monitoring the durability and resistance against aggressive effects. Possibilities of durability and resistance increase of materials, primary and secondary methods of protection. Evaluation of materials built in into structures – building-technical checking of structures, possibilities of structures rehabilitation.
The lectures are accompanied by tutorials having laboratory and calculation character.
Institute of Technology of Building Materials and Components (THD)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student would gain an overview of the optimum use of the most often used materials in building structures, with the goal to design and propose structures while maintaining the most favourable ratio of prices to its endurance while taking into consideration the operational and esthetical properties.
Properties and methods of building materials testing, basic knowledge of building systems and suitability of individual materials for building structures.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction into the subject, basic concepts.
2. Demands on material for structures following different aspects.
3. Basic properties of concrete, advantages and disadvantages for practical application.
4. Concrete components, production, storing, testing.
5. Basic properties of ceramics, advantages and disadvantages for practical use.
6. Raw materials for ceramic manufacture, production, tests.
7. Basic properties of plastics, wood and metals, advantages and disadvantages of for practical use.
8. Testing methods for plastics, wood and metals.
9. Methods for verification of building materials durability.
10. Possibilities of durability and resistance increase of materials.
11. Evaluation of materials embedded in structures- diagnostics of buildings.
The graduate obtains an overlook concerning optimal utilization of mostly used materials in building structures with the aim to design and use structures under most advantageous relation between price and durability with respect to operational and esthetical properties.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.