Hydro Power Utilization
FAST-BRB009Acad. year: 2020/2021
Hydro power plants – definition, terminology, division, legislative conditions required for realization and innovation of hydro power plants, types of plants considering its placement (structure and technology).
Newly built hydro power plants , reconstruction of existing hydro power plants.
Turbines for hydro power plants – types, products information.
Economic conditions for the hydro power plants construction and operation, capital cost repayment period.
Study, conceptual solution of hydro power plants constructional components. Hydrotechnical and hydroenergetical calculations.
Institute of Water Structures (VST-VST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The student will acquire the overview of energy balance in CZ and in applicability of primar hydro energy potential. Elementary solution of small hydro power plant and suitable types of water turbine is the aim of the course.
Hydraulics, weirs, dams, concrete structures, hydro power energy utilization.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Energy sources. Stream water power – potential resources. Theoretical, technically applicable hydropower potential of the stream.
2. Natural, artificial, primary and secondary sources of waterpower. Basic types of hydropower structures and their components. Structure of energy plants in Czech republic. Development of energetics in Czech republic.
3. Hydro power plants division. Hydro power cascades. Efficiency of of water source.
4. Work and function of water power plant in electric network – loading diagram.
5. Hydro-energetic solution of the run-off river hydro power plant.
6. Classification and typed of water turbines. Kaplan, Francise and Pelton turbines.
7. Spiral casing of water turbines. Suction pipes of water turbines. Suction head. Cavitation.
8. Intake structures of pressureless and pressure hydropower structures. Rules of design and types of intake structures. Solution of foreground of intakes, skimmer walls. Pipe lines of hydro power plants. Design of profiles of water power canals and pressure pipes.
9. Direct and indirect hydraulic shock. Compensating chambers, their function and types.
10. Constructional part of hydro power plant. Buildings of hydro power plant - types of engine room according to construction and placement. Complete spatial solution. Substructure of engine room – function, basic types of engine set supporting systems. Upper part of the engine room – function, construction types.
11. Excursion in hydraulic laboratory of Faculty of Mechanical Engineering Brno University of Technology is realized.
Overview of energy balance in CZ and applicability of primar hydro energy potential. Elementary solution of small hydro power plant and suitable types of water turbine made nowadays. Overview of basics of SHPP construction and operation economy.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.