FAST-BHB005Acad. year: 2020/2021
Thermal resistance of the structure.
Surface temperature of the budilding structure.
Temperature evaluation in the structure.
Average thermal transmittance if the building envelope.
Interstitial condensation and evaporation.
Thremal stability of the room.
Air permeability of the building envelope.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Fundamentals in the thermal protection and energy balance of buildings. Design of thermally insulated building constructions without thermal bridges and condensation problems. Evaluation of thermal comfort in low energy buildings. Introduction to acoustic and visual comfort in buildings.
Knowledge of the fundamental physical values, thermal properties of building materials and compositions of building structures.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction, motivation, historical development, related laws, regulations, standards, heat transfer.
2. Thermal properties of building materials, sources of information, definition of thermal comfort.
3. Boundary conditions for calculations, definition of steady state thermal field, thermal resistance, total therma resistance.
4. Thermal transmittance - calculation when considering one-dimensional or two-dimensional heat transfer, evaluation, influence of reflective properties of materials.
5. The average (overal) thermal transmittance of the building envelope,the energy label of the building envelope.
6. Temperatures in building structures in steady state temperature field, lowest internal surface temperature of the structure, calculation of the temperature factor at the internal surface and its evaluation.
7. Calculation of the thermal transmittance when of one-dimensional heat transfer cannot be applied, thermal bridges, linear and point thermal transmittance
8. Water vapour tranfer through the building structures, calculation of the interstitial condensation , calculation of the annual balance of interstitial evaporation and condensation and evaluation.
9. Description of non steady temperature field, thermal damping, drop of the touch temperature of the floors and its evaluation.
10. Thermal room stability in summer and winter, definition of critical room, evaluation.
11. Introduction to the energy performance of the building, introduction to the energy performance certificate of the building.
12. Air permeability of building envelope, airtightness measurement, diagnostics of building structures by infrared thermography method.
Introduction course to the thermal protection of buildings, design requirements for thermally insulated buildings envelopes and constructions, assessment of indoor thermal and visual and acoustic comfort.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans