Chemistry and technology of water (V)
FAST-BCB002Acad. year: 2020/2021
Chemical and physical characteristics of natural and municipal waste water.
Important chemical and biological processes running in aqueous environment, rules of microorganisms´ growth and their basic life conditions, classification of microorganisms due to energy and carbon sources.
Technologies of drinking water production, coagulation, filtration, disinfection, aggressive carbon dioxide removal, iron and manganese removal, adsorption.
Technological water treatment, calcium and magnesium removal, use of ion-exchangers.
Mechanical and biological ways of municipal wastewater treatment, aerobic methods, activated sludge process, biofilm reactors, natural ways of wastewater treatment, removal of nutrients from wastewater using biological and chemical methods.
Sewage sludge production, its treatment and stabilization, particularly by anaerobic process, and its further treatment.
Institute of Chemistry (CHE)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will master the aim of the subject, i.e. essentials of hydrochemistry, basics of waterworks technologies, sewage treatment processes, and treatment of sludge.
Inorganic nomenclature, basic organic nomenclature, basic chemical rules, theory of acids and bases, compilation of chemical equations, stoichiometric calculations, concentration and its expression, logaritms, fundamentals of differential and integral calculus.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Physical properties of water, chemical equilibria in water, pH, characteristics of water composition.
2. Gases, carbon in water, calcium-carbonate equilibrium.
3. Aggressive carbon dioxide removal, iron, manganese, and their removal from water.
5. Filtration, adsorption.
6. Water disinfection.
7. Water hardness and its removal, ion-exchngers.
8. Life conditions of microorganisms, fundamentals of microbiological processes.
9. Wastewater, scheme of municipal wastewater treatment plant.
10. Activated sludge process, aeration.
11. Removal of nitrogen and phosphorus from wastewater.
12. Biofilm reactors, natural ways of wastewater treatment. Anaerobic processes, sewage sludge treatment.
essentials of hydrochemistry, chemical or biochemical basics of waterworks technologies, sewage treatment processes, treatment of sludge
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.