Members of Concrete Structures
FAST-BLA001Acad. year: 2020/2021
Concrete members. Structural characteristic of concrete. Concrete reinforcement and its bond with concrete. Basic principles of design. Durability of concrete structures.
Design of reinforced concrete members for bending and shear force - ultimate and serviceability limit states, detailing. Design of reinforced concrete members for axial force and bending moment. Principles of concrete members design subject to other effect of the load. Design of members from plain and lightly reinforced concrete.
Simple concrete members – one way reinforced slabs, beams, girders, lintels, cantilevered structures, columns and stairs.
Institute of Concrete and Masonry Structures (BZK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
A student gains these knowledge and skills:
• Knowledge of the principles of reinforced concrete cross-section dimensioning for general stresses.
• Virtue for designing reinforced concrete members and simple structures together with the ability of preparing relevant technical drawings.
technical mathematics, technical physics, structural mechanics, theory of elasticity, loads, basic principles of structures design
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Concrete members. Components of concrete. Structural properties of concrete and influencing factors.
2. Types of concrete and reinforcement, their interaction. Theory of concrete structures design – load, structural requirements, design assumptions, durability. Ultimate limit states – principle of design.
3. Analysis of reinforced concrete bending members. Design of cross-sections for bending – general and simplified method.
4. Design of cross-sections for bending – rectangular sections, general sections, sections subject to biaxial bending moment .
5.–6. Design of cross-sections for shearing force.
7. Curtailment of reinforcement in beam – detailing and arrangements. Reinforcement of bended structural members.
8. Principles of design and reinforcement of stairs.
9.–10. Design of sections subjected to axial load and bending.
11. Design of sections for torsion moment. Design of members from plain and lightly reinforced concrete.
12. Verification of serviceability limit state of flexural members. Time-dependent properties of concrete.
To teach the students to the principles of reinforced concrete cross-section dimensioning at the principal stresses.
To gain ability for design of reinforced concrete members and simple structures together with preparing relevant technical drawings.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-SI Bachelor's
specialization VS , 2. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme BPA-SI Bachelor's, 2. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme BKC-SI Bachelor's, 2. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme BPC-MI Bachelor's, 2. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory