Engineering and Transport Structures
FAST-BOA001Acad. year: 2020/2021
History, progress and importance of engineering structures in civil engineering
Basic types of building and engineering structures and their general characteristics.
Building materials – material properties from the viewpoint of usage in building structures, basic material characteristics.
Load of building structure, load classification, particular load cases and their combinations.
Concrete and masonry structures, metal and timber structures – basic types, dispositional and structural design, significant structural details.
Basis of design and computer modelling of engineering structures.
Concrete and steel bridges and timber footbridges, masonry bridges and vaults: overview of types.
Transportation history, categorization, social aspects, transportation advantages and disadvantages. Integrated transport systems. Transportation terminology and basic concepts.
Railway transport charakteristic, basic concepts, alignment and profile of the line, permanent way and subgrade. Railway station.
Roadway and motorway characteristics in CR, design of road structures, technologies for road construction, urban infrastructure.
Institute of Metal and Timber Structures (KDK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will learn the problems of the course and will get under controll the course aims, within the meaning of obtaining knowledge and skills in the field of basic principles of design of civil engineering structures, concretized in the course schedule.
Basic knowledge of building materials, elementary bases of elasticity, strength and structural mechanics.
Fundamental knowledge of mathematics and geometry. General knowledge and orientation in maps.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Basic types of building and engineering structures.
2. Materials for civil structures.
3. Basic types of concrete, masonry, steel and timber structures.
4. Loading of building structure, load classification, kinds of loading actions, load cases and their combinations.
5. Basis of design and computer modelling of engineering structures.
6. Basis of structural design of buildings.
7. Concrete, steel and timber bridges and footbridges.
8. Transportation history, categorization, social aspects, transportation advantages and disadvantages. Transportation terminology and basic concepts. Alignment and profile of the line.
9. Roadway and motorway characteristics in CR. Structural and geometrical arrangement of road structures.
10. Urban road.
11. Technologies for road construction. Road types.
12. Permanent way and subgrade.
13. Railway stations. Airports.
The objective of the subject is to introduce students to the problems of this course and to practise acquires knowledge and skills.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans