FAST-BEA001Acad. year: 2020/2021
The importance of geodesy in civil engineering. Coordinate systems, reference frames and vertical datum in Czech republic and EU.
Angle-, distance-, height measurements, geodetic calculations. Global navigation satellite systems (GNSS).
Methods of spatial data collecting - surveying, GNSS, terrestrial and airborne laser scanning, mobile mapping systems.
Setting out of structures, check measurements, determination of displacements and deformations, special measurements.
Cadastre of real estates, retrieval of informations from cadastre.
Cartography, state map series, geographical information systems (GIS), building information model (BIM).
Institute of Geodesy (GED)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student gets acquainted with fundamentals of geodesy for civil engineering
Basic of mathematics, trigonometric functions.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. The role of geodesy in civil engineering. History. Shape and dimensions of the Earth, reference bodies. Units.
2. Geodetic horizontal control. Angle and distance measurements. Coordinate systems and reference frames. Basic coordinate calculations.
3. Vertical control. Methods for measuring of heights. Digital Terrain Model.
4. Global navigation satellite systems (GNSS), applications in surveying, machine control.
5. Methods of spatial data collecting - polar method, orthogonal method, GNSS RTK.
6. Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing.
7. Terrestrial and airborne laser scanning, mobile mapping systems.
8. Geodetic works in the project preparation phase. Project setting out. Check measurements. As-built surveying of structures.
9. Determination of displacements and deformations of buildings.
10. Geodetic works in the construction of roads, railways, tunnels and bridges. Special measurements in industry. Determination of areas and volumes.
11. Cadastre of real estates. Implementation of changes in the cadastre, sketches, defining the boundary. Inspection of the cadastre.
12. Basics of Cartography. State map series in Czech Republic.
13. Geographic information systems, information model of a building. Examples of solving specified geodetic tasks.
Fundamentals of geodesy for civil engineering
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-MI Bachelor's, 1. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
- Programme BPC-SI Bachelor's
specialization VS , 2. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
- Programme BKC-SI Bachelor's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory
- Programme BPA-SI Bachelor's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 3 credits, compulsory