Energy Savings in Building Renovations
FAST-NHA065Acad. year: 2020/2021
The course is aimed at enhancing knowledge of renovations and retrofitting of buildings. It emphasizes energy savings in various types of historical buildings and materials that were applied during the 20th century.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Basic knowledge in the fields: building design; building physics; building chemistry and building services.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to the course; history of buildings and architectural styles in the Czech Republic; surveys and diagnostics in building renovations.
2. Energy savings in retrofitting of external walls: fundamental overview; variants of thermal insulation applications; design criteria and methods of implementation; specific approaches to walls made of stone, mud, timber and mixed masonry.
3. Defects and faults of thermal insulation systems, rehabilitation of ETICS. Rehabilitation of selected building structures and improvement of their thermal performance: windows and doors, floors and ceilings.
4. Energy savings in retrofitting of curtain walling: unitised construction and stick construction, glazed facades, historical curtain walling.
5. Renovations of pitched and flat roofs: defects and failures, recovery of function and improvement of thermal performance.
6. Introduction to pre-cast concrete buildings: historical development of standardized construction systems and their envelope walls. Energy savings in retrofitting of pre-cast concrete buildings, defects and failures of envelope walls, modifications of balconies, loggias and parapet walls.
7. Energy savings in retrofitting of specialized buildings: standardized prefabricated frames, halls, high-rise buildings, industrial buildings, swimming pools, etc.
8. Energy savings in retrofitting of historical and heritage buildings: contemporary legal requirements and other regulations in the Czech Republic, conservation versus interventions.
9. Energy savings in retrofitting of building equipment: fundamental overview, spatial requirements, related construction works (placing of pipes and wires, rehabilitation of chimneys, installation of heat pumps, HVAC, etc.).
10. Summary of legal and standardized requirements on design documentation of building renovations; the most common defects and failures in the implementation of energy saving measures.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-EVB Master's, 2. year of study, winter semester, 4 credits, compulsory