Presentation Skills (EVB)
FAST-NZB016Acad. year: 2020/2021
Practical mastery of presentation skills, theoretical introduction to complex preparation of a presentation, presentation of general or specialised topic from the field of civil engineering, giving individual and group feedback, art of giving the effective feedback, increasing the effectiveness of presentations for professionals and general public, structuring the content of a speech with respect to factors affecting the perception of speaker, knowledge of types of nonverbal communication, principles of a high-quality speech, effective introduction and conclusion of a presentation, presentation mastering academic language, effort becoming a better presenter.
Institute of Social Sciences (SPV)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Knowledge of ethic principles and their connections with management. Understanding of human change in firm culture, manager´s personality and firm strategy.
The subject extends knowledge and skills gained in the course of secondary education, interest in the presentation theory is welcomed, knowledge of general psychology, experience of presenting, recognising other speakers' presentation, motivation to self-presentation skills improving.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to the topic of presentation skills. Selection of a theme of spoken presentation.
2. Assessment criteria for the presentations. Evaluation reports. Stage fright and relaxation techniques. Coping of presentation nervousness.
3. Emotional intelligence. Empathy and its importance in interpersonal and presentation communication. Working with the audience.
4. The role of self-knowledge and self-monitoring in communication. Critics and praise in communication. Grammar exercises.
5. Basics of nonverbal communication and presentation preparation. Analysis of the most common mistakes in speech in terms of nonverbal communication.
6. Beginning with the presentation. Effective introduction and conclusion.
7. Basics of verbal communication. Voice preparation and rhetoric. Czech in the speech. Presentation academic language.
8. Types of presentations (informative, persuasive and improvising) and their specifics. The presentation of results for the professionals and general public.
9. Software support of presentations. Presentation tools and their appropriate using. Visual aids, optimal work with them.
10. Ethics and etiquette from the view of presentation situations. Becoming a better presenter.
11. Specifics of presentations of civil engineering disciplines. Tips for a proper presentation. The rhetorical triangle.
12. Specifics of team presentations. The role of the individual in a presenting group.
13. Presentation of printed material. Summary of knowledge.
Orientation in subject, ability to aplicate of knowledge, information and practises in professional and personal life.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme NPC-EVB Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 4 credits, compulsory-optional