Building Constructions 4
FAST-BHA008Acad. year: 2020/2021
The course deepens fundamental knowledge of building design. It focuses on supplementary information in various fields of building design (flooring, suspended ceilings, finishes). It follows previous courses of Building Construction and completes overview of all topics related with building design.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will be able to make a proposal solution of contructions of roofing, external walls, windows, doors and gateways in external walls, windows in roofs of building
The students deepen their knowledge of building design. It is assumed that students already have fundamental knowledge of building design on the level of Building Constructions 1, 2 and 3 courses.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Flooring: Functional and operational requirements (thermal, acoustic, operational, fire safety, etc.), flooring properties and their testing, design and construction of flooring.
2. Flooring: Role of individual layers, materials, flooring finishes, critical details, dilatation
3. Flooring: Industrial floors and their specifics.
4. Suspended ceilings: Functional requirements, design principles and methodology, user requirements (acoustics, thermal, structural, fire safety, hygienic, etc.)
5. Suspended ceilings: Types of suspended ceilings (optical, acoustic, fire safety, etc.), materials, construction, critical details
6. Finishes of interior walls and ceilings: plasters, tiles, paints, requirements (functional, operational, hygienic, dilation, etc.)
6. Curtain walls: Types (technological, acoustic, etc.), designing, construction.
7. Joinery and locksmith works: Bills of quantities, necessary specifications and drawings.
8. Doors, gates and windows: Legal requirements, design of critical details with regard to building physics (thermal, acoustics, daylighting), influence of boundary conditions on fulfillment of hygienic, operational and functional requirements, choice of optimal solution in case of mutually excluding legal requirements
9. Windows in envelope walls: Variants, construction requirements and processes.
10. Doors and gates in envelope walls: Variants, construction requirements and processes. Roof windows. Doors, windows, niches, etc. in the interior.
11. Chimneys and ventilation bodies - design and implementation principles, link to layout design, design requirements, types and methods of solution.
12. Specific materials and chemicals used in construction industry, their types and properties. Anchoring elements and their application.
13. Garages, garage parking spaces, parking systems: Variants and design.
To obtain fundamental knowledge in the field of contructions of roofing, external walls, windows, doors and gateways in external walls, windows in roofs of building, to aquire theoretical and functional relationship, to gain experience and ability for design.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Classification of course in study plans
- Programme BPC-EVB Bachelor's, 2. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme BPC-SI Bachelor's
specialization S , 3. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme BPA-SI Bachelor's, 3. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme BKC-SI Bachelor's, 3. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory
- Programme NPC-SIE Master's, 1. year of study, summer semester, 5 credits, compulsory-optional