Drawing and Modeling in Architecture
FAST-AG056Acad. year: 2020/2021
In the first half of the course the student will acquire the architectural drawings techniques. The course teaches students how to work with a drawing and how apply simplification, i.e. how to sketch. The course develops student’s ability to use a drawing as a means of telling a story or explaining. Students are introduced to the basics of typography and graphical presentation of their ideas.
In the second half of the semester students become familiar with the methods of processing the architectural model. It equips them with techniques that are used in the production of their models. Students will use their own designs to practice processing of a complex shape or a structure. They will learn how to choose the right technology, both manual and machine processing of materials and precise finishing of their model.
Learning outcomes of the course unit
The prerequisite is knowledge of art techniques.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Architectural drawing - lines and hatches, reference examples of architects and their sketches.
2. Basic principles of shading spatial objects, cube, cuboid, cylinder, cone, sphere, etc..
3. Materials and their drawing.
4. Drawing entourage in architectural expression, principles and examples. Basic materials and their way of drawing.
5. Typographical rules in a nutshell (with a focus on advanced editing and layout). Principles of typographic adjustment
font, color, images, composition. Creating graphic design CV, logos and signatures.
6. Methods of drawing thought process in 2D. Telling with pencil - principles and examples.
7. Introduction to processing model - scale, material, color, detail.
8. Basic principles of sketching space.
9. Materials for architectural models. Manual processing of model - wire, paper, wood, polystyrene, foam, plastic.
10. Basic and advanced principles of plastic processing - vacuum forming.
11 Two-component materials - plaster, Acrystal, polyester.
12. Rapid prototyping.
13. Finish model and methods for surface treatment.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.