Building Materials and Geology
FAST-AI001Acad. year: 2020/2021
Basic information about structure, basic building material properties and their use as building materials. Methods of testing physical–mechanical properties and durability characteristics with focus on destructive methods. Basic deformational characteristics of building materials and their monitoring. Properties of building materials: stone, aggregate, binder, concrete, mortar, building ceramics, metal, timber, polymers and asphalts. Practical laboratory tests of selected building materials. Acquiring knowledge of rock types creating foundation soil. Action of the internal and external geological factors affecting the properties and behaviour of foundation soil with a particular focus on the influence of surface and ground water. Acquiring knowledge of the evaluating methodology of foundation soils for construction in accordance with the current requirements of the practice and European standards.
Institute of Building Testing (SZK)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will be able to realize the basic tests of various kinds of building materials.
Plane geometry, stereometry, goniometric functions, units of physical quantities and their transfers, the fundamental laws of physics, mechanics of bodies
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1. Introduction to building materials
2. Aggregate, building rock and rock products
3. Binders and mortar
4. Concrete and concrete products I.
5. Concrete and concrete products II .
6. Silicates and silicate products
7. Steel , metals and non-ferrous metals
8. Polymers , mastics and adhesives, etc.
9. Timber, timber products and construction
10. Geology I - Fundamentals of petrography
11. Geology II . - The effect of internal and external geological forces
12. Geology III . - Geological action of water and groundwater
13. Geology IV . - Assessment of ground soil for construction
Building materials properties acquainting and practising. Acquainting with geological and building’s foundation conditions. Student will be able to realize the basic tests of various kinds of building materials.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.