Building Constructions 4
FAST-AH004Acad. year: 2020/2021
The subject links up to the subject of Building Constructions 3. The main topic of this subject deals with building envelopes, i.e. peripheral walls and roofs. During the first part of the term the study aim is concerned with roofs - flat and pitched roof systems. Pitched roofs are presented with load-bearing structures of traditional trusses and modern truss systems. An attention is paid to roof coverings (overview of pitched roof coverings) and thermal insulation layers of roof constructions designed over heated indoor spaces. Concerning the flat roofs the design principles of single-leaf roofs (warm roofs) and double-leaf roofs (cold roofs) are presented in several structural and material variations including tinsmith´s product details. In the second part of the term the study concern is aimed at the building facades of civil and industrial buildings. This theme includes the information about the thermal protection of buildings and design requirements for thermal insulation of the major facade types: single-layer homogeneous external constructions, multi-layer facades, lightweight steel-plastic facade panels. Lectures will also include the issue of openings in peripheral wall structures, i.e. windows and external pedestrian doorsets.
Institute of Building Structures (PST)
Learning outcomes of the course unit
Student will be able to make a proposal solution of contructions of roofing, external walls, windows, doors and gateways in external walls, windows in roofs of building.
Fundamental knowledge of physical and mechanical characteristics of basic building materials, knowledge of Physics, Descriptive geometry, knowledge and basic orientation in design of external walls and roofs.
Recommended optional programme components
Recommended or required reading
Planned learning activities and teaching methods
Assesment methods and criteria linked to learning outcomes
Language of instruction
1.Building envelopes – terminology, function, climatic and boundary design conditions, loads, fundamental design principles.
2.Roofing of buildings – classification of roofs, main structural parts and components, types of the roof dewatering. Flat single-leaf roofs (warm roofs) – design principles, material variations, roof dewatering, layers of flat roof composition. Material variants of individual layers of single-leaf flat roofs, structural types of single-leaf roofs (classical arrangement of layers, inverted, compact).
3.Flat double-leaf roofs (cold roofs) – structural design principles, flat roof dewatering, material variations, layers of flat roof composition, design of roof ventilation system. Trussed rafter.
4. Roof trusses – classification, carpenter´s joints, basic types of trusses and crown posts. Purlin systems – design solution at the hipped end and at the gable.
5. Modern roof trusses – collar beam trusses and rafter systems. Compositions of roof structures above inhabited attic spaces.
6. Basic types of roof coverings, design principles and requirements for application.
7. Sheet metal constructions. Implementation and details of pitched and flat roofs.
8. Peripheral wall structures - design requirements for sandwich walls with a thermal insulation leaf. Material possibility and technological processes of fixing of external insulation layers (anchoring, gluing surface finishes). Principles of a solution of multi-layer wall structures with the external insulation layer. Materials and technology of an application of external insulation layers (anchoring, gluing, surface finishes).
9. Peripheral wall structures – design principles, material variations of single-leaf homogeneous structures. Structural principles and variants of the composition of thermal insulation layers in external constructions with regards to the heat and moisture transport.
10. Openings in peripheral wall structures: windows - variants, materials, requirements for installation.
11. Openings in peripheral wall structures: external pedestrian doorsets and gates- variants, materials, requirements for installation. Ways of fitting of windows and doors. Roof windows.
12. Lightweight steel-plastic peripheral structures – use, structural and material types, anchoring of components.
13. The final lecture, examination instructions.
To obtain fundamental knowledge in the field of contructions of roofing, external walls, windows, doors and gateways in external walls, windows in roofs of building, to aquire theoretical and functional relationship, to gain experience and ability for design.
Specification of controlled education, way of implementation and compensation for absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.